Your impact as a Junior Kubernetes DevOps Engineer at NN
You will be part of an exciting environment, where already over thirty Kubernetes clusters are being managed. Multiple production workloads are running on the platform, including several NN mission critical workloads. The NN Container Platform provides standardized EKS (AWS) and AKS (Azure) based stacks, including infrastructure hardening, networking configuration and security integrations that enable NN’s developers to focus on developing their micro-services on top. This is where it gets exciting. You play an important role in keeping the 1.0 version of the platform stable, while building and extending version 2.0. The most challenging part in this is life cycle management and reliable delivery of changes to this live platform.
For the 2.0 version, our goal is to simplify the current setup of the platform by moving more to product delivery, so our users gain more flexibility in their choice of platform features. For example, we now offer them the flexibility to choose between AWS Fargate managed compute or Karpenter to autoscale just-in-time compute at the most optimal price level. With the 2.0 version, we have also optimized the work of the team so that it becomes more fun to deliver our environment due to reduced complexity and ease of new feature development. Simplification leads to more agility to respond to our users’ demands. We are significantly shifting towards more cloud native services, eliminating overhead and also introducing the use of AWS CDK to replace existing Infrastructure as Code implementations with more future-proof technologies.
Our current challenge is targeted at supporting the migration of our users from V1 to the V2 version, development of additional V2 features, the development of a V2 on Azure and LCM on our V1 version to ensure reliable continuation of our existing services.
Does this trigger your interests? Don’t hesitate and join our containership!Your responsibilities
- You enable the business to focus on where it matters and adds value; developing micro-services
- You develop rock-solid add-ons within our Kubernetes infrastructure, that make a short time to market possible and help our developers deliver secure, cost efficient and stable services
- By applying smart design principles, you help reduce the price per container, which minimizes IT footprint costs
- You deliver one of NN’s most advanced hosting solutions based on Kubernetes on two public clouds (AWS and Azure), used by DevOps teams to host their containerized micro-services
- In the spirit of continuous improvement you add additional features to our platform based on the CNCF landscape and you will coach the BU DevOps teams to adopt the Kubernetes technology
You will be part of our Container Platform Team, which is part of NN's Cloud domain. In this environment, you will find the AWS, Azure and CI/CD platform teams as your direct colleagues. The Cloud domain has a scale-up type of culture and consists of a group of energetic and empowered engineers. We strive to make public cloud technology successful across the entire company (including our international units). We really value our culture and nourish it at every opportunity. Together with our Scrum Master, team events are regularly organized. Last year we did airsofting, go-karting, game days, had a virtual Christmas event and did several dinners with the teams.
You get the chance to work on the latest and greatest technology, like public cloud (both AWS and Azure!) and Kubernetes. We have a nice challenge for you to help refresh the entire platform setup on AWS and Azure with your team. Sounds great, right?Who you are
You have a positive mindset and energy, which makes you an inspiration to work with. You always have new ideas, you see possibilities and learn from situations. Furthermore, you have:
- Approximately 1-2 years of experience with Kubernetes and/or AWS and/or Azure
- Baseline experience in Linux and CI/CD
- Experience with Infra-as-Code (e.g. Terraform) and with Python/Golang or similar
- Skills in writing Typescript code
- Strong communication (at least English), analytical and collaboration skills
It is important to us that you continue to develop yourself. We give you the space and the confidence to grow in your career as well as a person. We help you with:
- Plenty of training and learning opportunities in our Learning & Development Centre
- A large (international) network of colleagues who are keen to share their knowledge with you
- The autonomy to steer your own development path
You are more than a colleague and that is something we understand very well at NN. You have many roles in life, leading to different choices. At NN we give you the opportunity to select employee benefits that are important to you. For instance buying additional leave days and flexible working hours. In consultation with your manager and your direct colleagues, you are able to work out of any location at any time. You get enough flexibility to adjust your working pattern to your personal needs. Also part of the benefits are (currently online) sports lessons and a special allowance to set up your home office and internet use. In addition, you will receive:
- Collective pension scheme with a personal contribution of only 6%
- 194.4 hours of leave, based on a 36-hour week (that’s 27 vacation days for a 5-day working week) and one Diversity Day
- Holiday allowance and a 13th month, paid with your monthly salary
- NS Business Card 2nd class, which gives you unlimited travel 7 days a week. Do you prefer to travel with your own transport? Then you can declare the kilometres travelled for business and commuting.
NN has a hybrid working strategy in which colleagues are working partially from the office in the Hague and from home. The official location for this job is our fantastic office in The Hague. The office is located next to the A12, but is also easily accessible by public transport as well. Want to catch some fresh air? You can take the tram or bike and you will be at the beach in half an hour.Will you be our new colleague?
We would like to invite you to come and have a cup of coffee or tea. Because we believe that your enthusiasm about this position will only increase during that conversation. So, what are you waiting for?Apply now
If you have any questions about the vacancy, you can reach out via e-mail to Joost Stroes (Recruiter) via Joost.Stroes@nn-group.com.