For the expansion of the core product team Livewords is looking for a Senior Java Developer who is familiar with the dynamics of an agile team, has a high level of creativity and the talent to simplify and look for new solutions.
The LiveWords core product team is the creative nerve center of the company; the place where the requirements of our customers come together, where new ideas are tested, leading to new refinements of the product vision and ultimately becomes working software. Each team member is cross-functional and can carry out all the core tasks of the development process. We’re proud of having built an engineering team that’s diverse and well-balanced in terms of nationality, gender and talent.
A Senior Java Developer at LiveWords helps building the core part of one of the best cloud translation workflow solutions in the market. This covers a lot of ground, where you’ll touch on many general software engineering aspects like fuzzy string matching, reversed indexing, markup languages and parsing, string segmenting and web crawling. You’ll frequently use topics from information retrieval or computational linguistics like word frequencies, n-grams, tokenization or part-of-speech tagging.
The technical culture at LiveWords is a modern one, which emphasizes APIs, scalability, lightweight application design, functional thinking like immutability or closures, and reactive concepts like resilience and asynchronous messaging. We use technologies like Java 8, event sourcing, CQRS, Jetty, Gradle, Docker and NodeJS. Releasing continuously is our first priority (once every week on average). Our future goal is to gradually work towards a microservices architecture, to improve both scalability and resilience.
Senior Team Member Strengths
- Leading: you are oriented towards delivering business value.
- Positive attitude: “yes because” instead of “no but”.
- Strategic: stays goal-oriented, even while deeply enmeshed in the gory details.
- Hyper-pragmatic: thinks in trade-offs; prefers “getting to done” over getting it perfect.
- Zooms out: likes to examine and assess her own productivity and the balance in the team.
- Team player: helps out and listens to others.
- Plays well with a constantly changing technology landscape.
- Fluent with the Java language, JVM technologies and Java frameworks like Spring.
- Has worked extensively with the ubiquitous web technologies like HTTP, HTML, CSS, jQuery, and ajax.
- Well versed in MySQL, with a sensible and practical opinion on scaling and replication.
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Redis, other NoSQL databases and Amazon Web Services is a plus.
Education and Working Experience
- A project track record in Java software engineering.
- Bachelor/Academic working- and thinking level and studied Computer Science or related.
- As a Senior Java Developer you have worked in an agile team before.
- Fluent in either English or Dutch, preferably both.
Note that you should be willing to relocate to the Amsterdam area if you are currently living outside The Netherlands. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
LiveWords offers you the challenging and creative environment of a fast-growing, technology-driven company. You will work directly with the founders, and some of them have senior software engineering backgrounds themselves. Your colleagues are all passionate about software development and are convinced of the potential of LiveWords. Your employment terms and conditions will be tailored to your background and level.
Prepare for and grow into the core product engineering team lead position.
A salary of € 60k to 75k a year, based on a 40 hour work week.
A team budget for conferences and courses each year.
Team e-learning tech courses to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies.
High-end range laptop included.