Jan de Haas (Program Leader Molecular Biology & Bioinformatics):
Effective modern breeding requires a combination of classical breeding skills and cutting edge technologies and analysis methods in the fields of phenotyping, genetics, big data handling, statistics and genomic breeding. The basis for modern genomic breeding is the structural and functional bioinformatics study of the genome and the allelic variation of genes at the DNA, RNA and protein sequence level. Recent developments in next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies and the application of new software tools for sequence assembly, database storage and data visualization, make this field of research exciting and challenging for bioinformatics scientists. When you have the drive to study, unravel and fully explore the complex genomic information of one of the most important food crops with state of the art software, tools and principles, you are welcome to apply for the described function. The successful candidate will be stationed in Metslawier. We actively strive to be a preferred place for professionals to build meaningful and rewarding careers for you and the company.
Within the Molecular Biology & Bioinformatics team of HZPC Research we are looking for a Bioinformatics Scientist with proven skills in the development and application of bioinformatics pipelines and tools for efficient SNP discovery, NGS-based data mining, genome assembly and genome annotation. Within HZPC you have the unique possibility to be involved in a number of internal and external projects, while working closely and interacting with teams in the field of Molecular Biology, Biometry & Quantitative Genetics, Biochemistry, Phytopathology and Breeding & Selection. Our colleagues are involved in the breeding & selection process in all disciplines relevant for a modern breeding company. As a Bioinformatics Scientist you will be engaged in various activities related to NGS-based research to effectively make use of gene and genomic data for the development and application of genomic breeding & selection purposes according to state of the art principles.
• A challenging job with many independent aspects.
• An innovative environment with respect to the application of bioinformatics in breeding and selection.
• A professional work climate and enthusiastic colleagues.
• Good working conditions.
• A flexible organization with a view to the future and the employee.
• A career within a healthy international enterprise.
You can send your application via our application form. For more information on the position you can contact Jan de Haas (Program Leader Molecular Biology & Bioinformatics: on +31 622987583).
Acquisition to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Search words: Bioinformatician, Bioinformatics, (Plant) Breeding, (Plant) Biology, (Plant) Physiology, , Big data, data analysis, breeding and selection; Genomics, NGS, sequencing, assembly, annotation, Linux, Python, Java, SNPs, computer (life) science, Biologie, Bioinformatica, Data Analist
Are you experienced in the field of bioinformatics data analysis? Do you wish to continue challenging and developing yourself? Are you skilled in plant, animal and/or human sequence datasets and infrastructures for their analysis and interpretation? If so we like to invite you to contact us!
• You have a PhD in bioinformatics (or equivalent life science specialization). Alternatively, you have an MSc degree with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in bioinformatics. Candidates with a background in computer science, who have specialized in bioinformatics are also welcome to apply.
• You have proven experience in the quality control, interpretation and organization of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) sequence data from various sequencing technologies, using a subset of tools like CLC Genomics Workbench/Server, FALCON, SMRT Link, BWA, BLAST, SAMtools, BCFtools, GATK Toolkit, HMMER, Augustus, etc.
• You preferably have experience or at least affinity with Linux, Bash, SQL, R, Java, Python or Perl to be able to program routines for pipelines and data analysis.
• You have ability to conceptualize, graphically visualize, develop and implement databases and analysis pipelines and scripts to address research questions.
• You have strong analytical skills and attention to details and a rapid learning agility.
• You have excellent self-management skills to be able to work both independently and in a team.
• You are a good networker with interpersonal and relationship skills.
• You are flexible (in view of variation of activities within and over projects) and you share your knowledge and skills with your team & colleagues. Moreover, you attach high value to quality and effectiveness in reporting.
• You are driven to continuously develop yourself and willing to expand your knowledge and expertise and that of the team.
• Having affinity with plant research is a plus (but not obligatory).