The U.S. Embassy in The Hague is seeking an individual for the position of
Schilder en Allround Handyman (English title: ‘Painter’) full-time: 40 hours per week
Please note that we only consider applications that are submitted through the public website of the Embassy (link below). We unfortunately will not consider your application if it is not submitted through the Embassy website. Thank you for your understanding.
The incumbent reports directly to the Building Engineer/Maintenance Supervisor. The position holder is employed as a journeyman level Painter, performing interior and exterior painting, finishing, plastering, decorating, and trim work. The incumbent is responsible for mixing, matching, surface preparation and application of paint and similar finishes, completing touchups, and coordinating large painting projects. S/He will conduct maintenance, repair and installation of flooring, ceilings, doors, woodwork, furniture and all wall finishes using appropriate methods of application.
The position holder also acts as Trades Helper and assists other technicians in the performance of routine and preventive maintenance, new installations and demolition work, and may be assigned to any of the skilled trade shops on a daily basis to assist the skilled technicians with maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) office buildings, grounds and residential owned/leased properties. For additional information, contact the Human Resources Office at 070-310- 2234.
Note: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Applications with incomplete information will be deemed unqualified.
1. Education: Completion of secondary school required. Completion of two years of vocational training with degree in painting is required.
2. Experience: A minimum of three years’ experience at the journey-level in painting and finishing work. Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility.
3. Language Requirements: The incumbent must have Level III (good working knowledge) verbal and written skills in the use of English in order to understand technical information, contract documents, and correspondence. Must also have Level III (good working knowledge) verbal and written skills in Dutch language in order to communicate with local contractors and other LE Staff.
4. Job Knowledge: The incumbent is required to have a thorough, technical understanding of commercial painting and finish systems and equipment. Must have a basic technical understanding of major building mechanical and electrical systems and equipment. Must be familiar with construction techniques and workplace safety, personal protective equipment (PPE), and how to use basic hand and power tools. Must have a standard knowledge of local and international building codes.
5. Skills and Abilities: The incumbent must be able to read and interpret construction drawings, operations and maintenance manuals, building codes and other construction documents. The incumbent shall have skills and abilities in the following areas: use of hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools pertaining to painting, finishing and minor construction fields. Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, working on ladders and scaffolding at various heights, and working in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors, to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information. Must be computer literate, able to navigate through the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point; able to draft reports, write e-mails and research information on the Internet. A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Must be organized. Must be able to lift 25 kilos.
How to apply
Read the formal announcement on our website and please note: the formal announcement on our website prevails over this announcement when there are differences in the text. Push the 'solliciteren' button to apply.
Closing date of the vacancy: Sunday, September 25, 2016