The U.S. Embassy in The Hague is seeking an individual for the position of
Electrician (‘Electricien’) – full-time: 40 hours per week
Please note that we only consider applications that are submitted through the public website of the Embassy (link below). We unfortunately will not consider your application if it is not submitted through the Embassy website. Thank you for your understanding.
The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer/Maintenance Supervisor. The incumbent is employed as a journeyman level Electrical Controls Technician to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) on critical and non-critical electrical components within the functional/office buildings, on-compound ancillary support and residential buildings, above and below ground infrastructures, recreational facilities, and other owned/leased properties. The incumbent specializes in the operations and maintenance of electrical control systems, apparatuses, and components that drive the complex operating systems within the Embassy facilities. The incumbent will perform preventive maintenance, repairs, routine service, testing, and when necessary the replacement of the automated equipment. S/he will assist in the programming of the control sequence control devices and their interface with the Building Automation System (BAS). The incumbent will ensure that servicing and repairs are per the manufacturer’s guidance, meet International Building Code standards, and that equipment is functioning at peak efficiency; will incorporate safe work practice including lock- out/tag-out procedures.
For additional information, contact the Human Resources Office at 070-310- 2234.
Note: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Applications with incomplete information will be deemed unqualified.
1. Education: Completion of secondary school required. Successful completion of a minimum two (2) year specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level electricians. A portion of the training must be in Electrical Controls and Automated Systems Technology.
2. Experience: A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working at the journey-level in the installation,repair, and maintenance of commercial building electrical systems including power generation and distribution systems, grounding, and digital building controls and automated systems. Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility, and the ability to repair complex equipment, components, and systems. Minimum of 2 years work experience operating and maintaining 3 phase electrical equipment with ampere ratings of 1600 Amps or higher. Must have a career path that demonstrates increased levels of responsibility working on complex equipment, control circuits, and building automation systems.
3. Language Requirements: Level III (good working knowledge) in English and Level IV (fluent) Dutch are required in writing/speaking/reading.
4. Job Knowledge: The incumbent is required to know electrical theory, ohms law, how to size electrical equipment including generators, transformers, motor starters, feeder and branch circuit wiring, circuit breakers and other electrical equipment/components, and how to use the various test instruments to analyze and repair electrical problems. Must know how to diagnose the root cause of an electrical problem and what materials and equipment will be needed to facilitate repairs. Must know how to work safely on electrical components including the use of lock-out / tag-out safety measures. The incumbent must have detailed technical knowledge of electrical control systems and how control systems interface with other operating systems. His/her knowledge base must be equipment specific with all makes and models of the installed electrical systems, power generation and distribution equipment, switchgear, and mechanical equipment. Must have a very good technical understanding of major building electrical/mechanical systems and equipment with a specialty in controls. Knowledge of International Building Code standards including electrical and mechanical requirements, and fire and life safety codes is required.
5. Skills and Abilities: The incumbent must be able to read and interpret electrical drawings, riser diagrams, wiring schematics, various equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, and other construction documents. The incumbent shall have skills and abilities in the following areas: testing electrical components and taking equipment readings with various meters, hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools to determine the root cause of a problem, and the appropriate repairs. Must be able to use tools of the trade in order to install, troubleshoot, and repair building electrical controls, automated systems, and all associated components and devices. Additional skills include working with emergency standby generator systems; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs. Must have substantial skill in comprehending engineering reports, specifications, and related materials in English. Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, working on ladders at various heights, and working in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors, to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information. Must be computer literate, able to navigate through the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point; able to draft reports and createspreadsheets, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet. A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Must be organized.
How to apply
Read the formal announcement on our website and please note: the formal announcement on our website prevails over this announcement when there are differences in the text. Push the 'solliciteren' button to apply.
Closing date of the vacancy: September 25, 2016