Studio 8, a multi-product, multi-disciplinary Design team in Microsoft China, has an opening for an experienced, motivated and innovative Senior Designer in our Suzhou studio.
At Studio 8 we work on a broad variety of Microsoft products for markets around the world. As a Senior Designer, you will play a critical role in the product making process for Microsoft search, assistant, intelligence and related experiences that are integrated across the Microsoft Office portfolio.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strengths in all stages of product development and be able to drive from definition to ideation to delivery working with local and global partners in design, product management and engineering. She should have outstanding skills in designing interaction and visuals for software and the web.
You must include the URL of an online portfolio with your resume or CV. Please indicate your specific roles and contributions for each project submitted as part of the portfolio.
• Design management: Efficiently manage design activities for multiple simultaneous projects under the Sharepoint umbrella.
• Design strategy: Set design strategy and guidelines to guide design work for new features based on a deep understanding of user needs, business goals and technical limitations.
• Conception: Work at the early concept phase by facilitating ideation sessions, storyboarding, brainstorming, creating user scenarios, and sketching early stage mockups.
• Interaction design: Produce design briefs, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, interaction flows, low-fi prototypes and other artifacts required to develop and evolve user experience designs.
• Visual design: Implement the Microsoft visual design language (including grid, typography, color and other design-language patterns) for the products and deliver visual assets (icons, logos, layout redlines, screen mockups, hi-fi prototypes) to development counterparts on time and with quality, in accordance with agile methodology.
• Communication: Effectively communicate design strategies, concepts and solutions to peers, partners and stakeholders throughout the organization.
• User-centered Iteration: Work with PMs to collect/interpret user feedback and telemetry and incorporate findings into design solutions.
• Global alignment: Work closely with design counterparts in global teams to align design proposals and execution consistency.
• Agile method practice: Practice a highly efficient, iterative design process with light documentation.
• Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Communication Arts, Information Design, or equivalent education or experience
• 6+ years of industry experience designing products that have shipped into high-volume markets
• 2+ years of experience in leading design projects
• Experience of drafting design guideline to define common patterns and visual styles for new projects
• Written and spoken English proficiency is a must, and fluency in Mandarin is a plus.
• Expert level proficiency with common design tools (Sketch, Photoshop, After Effects, Figma etc.). Intimate knowledge of coding practices is a plus (C++, CSS, JS)
• Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood diagrams, wireframes, and other artifacts
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to make compelling and clear design presentations for varied audiences
• Passion and skills for taking research findings and translating them into tangible designs
• Strong design sensibility and attention to detail
• Ability to mentor, inspire, grow, and retain all levels of designers
• Strong interest in and aptitude for learning new technologies and design skills
• Hands on experience with agile/lean methods
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.