Open to: All Interested Candidates / All Sources
Closing date: Thursday June 7, 2018
Working hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: see website (link below)
The incumbent performs journeyman level carpentry work at the U.S. Government owned offices and residences, as well as leased residential properties of the Embassy The Hague. S/he designs, fabricates, installs, maintains and repairs doors and locks, windows, hardware, frames, trim, cabinetry, shelving, wall, ceiling and floor finishes, furniture, roofing, walkways, and similar finishes. S/he also performs as technician to complete semi-skilled plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work as needed. S/he performs after-hours duty of 24/7 emergency response. Incumbent is directly supervised by the Maintenance Foreman.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
1. Education: Completion of secondary school required. Successful completion of a minimum for (4) year specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman-level carpentry technicians with a vocational degree in Installation Technology is required.
2. Experience: Minimum of three years’ experience as carpenter. Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility, and the ability to repair complex equipment, components, and systems.
3. Language Requirements: Level 3 (good working knowledge) of English and Dutch for speaking, reading, and writing is required. (This may be tested.)
4. Job Knowledge: The incumbent shall possess general computer literacy, basic math skills, and the ability to use measurement tools needed to lay out and join materials. He or she must be familiar with international and local building code requirements. A general knowledge of building systems and operations, mechanical principles and theories, and familiarization of the proper use and hazards of chemical materials as needed. Must have understanding of occupational safety, health, and environmental management strategies and procedures. Must have the full journeyman knowledge in structural practices and cabinetry.
5. Skills and Abilities: Must be able to use all tools associated with the carpentry trade. Must be able to read and interpret building codes, SHEM, OSHA, OBO/FIR manuals, FAM citations and other written materials. Must be able to read and interpret building and floor plans for large facilities. Must have basic math skills. Must have basic computer skills. Must be able to gain standard working knowledge of the internal financial and procurement functions of the Department of State. Must possess a valid driver's license and be able to pass a driver's medical exam. Must have excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work in a team, and be able to handle a large workload with multiple tasks simultaneously. Must be highly organized. Must be able to lift 25 kilos.
Any of the above qualifications may be tested through an assessment as part of the recruitment process.
APPLY NOW: Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA)
All applicants must apply for a position through Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA), accessible via the U.S. Embassy website (link below). Please note the ERA vacancy announcement prevails over this announcement when there are differences in the text. We will only contact applicants who are being considered for an interview. Thank you for your understanding.
For further information
U.S. Embassy The Hague
Human Resources Office
Phone: 070 310 2235