Work hard and make history with Amazon’s International Public Policy and Government Affairs Team. The Senior Public Policy Manager, Customer Trust (Benelux) will join a growing and dynamic team, that works across Europe, Middle East, Africa, India and Asia Pacific, in support of Amazon’s global consumer retail business. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers. The International Public Policy team works with a wide range of national, local, and supranational policymakers, industry organisations, and non-governmental organisations across numerous policy issues spanning the consumer and commercial environment.
Amazon has created a trustworthy shopping experience by protecting customers, brands, selling partners and Amazon from fraud and abuse as well as world-class support for our selling partners. The Senior Public Policy Manager, Customer Trust (Benelux) will be responsible for partnering with policymakers and non-governmental groups in support of our consumer-centric business model at the highest levels of government and policy-making to ensure the business can continue providing an innovative and trustworthy shopping experience. You will have an astute understanding of the public policy and regulatory environment around customs, particularly as it relates to protection of intellectual property and product safety, as well as the key stakeholders within these environments. You will be able to coordinate efficiently, effectively, and cross-functionally, across Amazon’s business, locally and globally, to develop, align and implement appropriate positioning and engagement strategies. You will lead external advocacy efforts, outreach programmes, partnerships, and initiatives in support of these business objectives. You will coordinate Amazon’s engagement with relevant industry associations and wider coalitions, and manage consultancy support. You will be able to manage and drive complex projects, and provide clear and confident guidance, including in situations of high ambiguity. You will be a confident leader, but are also able to operate respectfully and collaboratively within wider regional and international structures.
The Senior Manager will work closely with Amazon’s public policy, public relations, legal, and business functions to establish the public policy and advocacy agenda. The Senior Manager will monitor and report relevant legislative and regulatory activity, develop positioning and mitigation/engagement strategies, draft collateral, and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives.
The Senior Manager will be willing to travel internationally, based on business need.
This position will be based in Brussels (BE), Amsterdam (NL) or Luxembourg City (Luxembourg).
· BA/BS required.
· Minimum of 15 years of relevant public policy experience and a keen working understanding of policy-making processes and government relations, particularly as they relate to customs.
· Minimum of 15 years of relevant public policy and advocacy experience, e.g. within corporate public policy and government relations, in public administration, trade associations or non-governmental organizations, preferably but not necessarily in the Internet/tech industry or retail.
· Written and spoken fluency in English.
· Master’s Degree in an area of study relevant to this role.
· Fluency in Dutch or additional European languages.
· Highly effective oral and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at highest corporate and political levels.
· Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English is required, and a proven ability to convey complex arguments in writing is a must.
· Ability to maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity, with a strong professional reputation in the industry.
· Proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures as well as working independently.
· Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
· Demonstrated experience developing and improving operational processes to drive business efficiencies.
· Proven ability to build effective partnerships with business owners and technical partners.
· A track record of highest integrity and public policy success.
· Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
· A self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results. When the resources are not immediately at-hand, you enjoy reaching out to a wide array of internal and external resources to obtain, process, and operationalise information and strategy.
· Strong judgment and decision-making skills. You can confidently use experience and data to assess and recommend a best course of action even in an ambiguous situation.
· Strong knowledge of and background in advocacy and public policy development pertaining to existing and emerging frameworks for intellectual property and/or product safety or customs.