Hans van Doorn (Program Leader Biometrics/Quantitative Genetics team): The crossroads of Biometrics, Bioinformatics and Big Data management becomes more and more critical in the conversion of phenotypic and genotypic ‘omics’ based datasets into knowledge and wisdom in the breeding and selection process of new potato varieties. Rapid technological developments in the field of instrumentation for phenotyping, DNA/RNA sequencing, arrays, monitoring of environmental conditions and soft & hardware platforms for big data analysis make the work of a biometrician/big data analyst exciting and challenging. When you have the drive to study, unravel and fully explore the principles of agronomic performance and quality related traits in the potato crop and the influence of environmental conditions on their expression with biometrical and multilayer big data approaches I hope you apply for the described position!
Within the Biometrics/Quantitative Genetics (BMQG) team we are looking for a Biometrician/Big Data Analyst with proven skills for the quality control, conversion into comprehensive formats, interpretation and organization of multilayer big data sets from phenotypic, genotypic and environmental origin for the purpose of breeding and selection.
Within HZPC you have the unique possibility to be involved in a number of internal and external projects, while working closely and interacting with teams in the field of Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Quality, Phytopathology and Breeding & Selection. Our colleagues are involved in the breeding & selection process in all disciplines relevant for a breeding company. We actively strive to be a preferred place for professionals to build meaningful and rewarding careers for you and the company.
As a Biometrician/Big Data Analyst you will be engaged in various activities with attention to the conversion of raw phenotypic, genotypic and environmental datasets into useful formats and traits for breeding & selection purposes according to state of the art principles.
• A challenging job with many independent aspects.
• An innovative environment with respect to the application of biometrics and quantitative genetics in breeding and selection
• A professional work climate and enthusiastic colleagues.
• Good working conditions.
• A flexible organisation with a view to the future and the employee.
• A career within a healthy international enterprise.
You can send your application via our application form. For more information on the position you can contact Jan de Haas (Program Leader Molecular Biology & Bioinformatics: on +31 622987583).
Acquisition to this advertisement is not appreciated.
Search words: Biometrician, Bioinformatician, (Plant) Breeding, (Plant) Biology, (Plant) Physiology, Biochemistry, Big data analyst, multilayer data analysis, big data, breeding and selection, Bioinformatica, Biologie, Vacature Friesland
Are you experienced in the field of biometrics, multivariate data analyses, transformation of relevant data sets into comprehensive traits in the context of functional and user-friendly multilayer big data platforms with expertise or affinity to physiological/ biological processes and their genetic basis? Do you wish to continue challenging and developing yourself? Are you skilled in plant, animal and/or human big data sets and infrastructures for their interpretation? If so we like to invite you to contact us!
• You have an academic degree or PhD in biometrics and/or multilayer ‘omics’ based big data analysis.
• You have proven experience in the quality control, interpretation and organization of big data sets from biological origin.
• You have well developed biometrical and statistical skills for quality control and analysis of complex phenotypic, genotypic and environmental data, generated by a range of instruments for the purpose of breeding & selection processes.
• You are experienced in the application of multivariate analysis and multilayer principles in big data sets applying commercial software or self-developed scripts and algorithms.
• You have natural programming skills in various computer languages (e.g. Java, Linux, C++, PHP, Ruby, Phyton and/or R) as basis for your biometrical and big data analysis challenges.
• You can support and guide the development of big data platforms including their organization and requirements in terms of data storage and visualization interfaces for application in breeding & selection.
• You have experience with large-scale data processing systems, data warehousing solutions and should be able to work with the latest (SQL & NoSQL) database technologies
• Affinity with (Plant) Biology, (Plant) Physiology and Biochemical pathways is a clear advantage.
• You are capable in converting new relevant scientific and hard & sofware developments in routine and practical applications.
• You are flexible (in view of variation of activities within and over projects) and you share your knowledge and skills with your team & colleagues. Moreover, you attach high value to quality and effective reporting.
• You are independent and have project management skills in terms of definition, planning, execution and delivery of targets on agreed deadlines.
• You are driven to continuously develop yourself and willing to expand your knowledge and expertise and that of the team.
• You have communicative and organisational skills and you are a team player.