Data Steward Research Data Management (RDM)
Would you like to work on shaping tomorrow’s world? Contribute to groundbreaking innovations and developments in technological knowledge? Are you a team player who feels at home in an international and interdisciplinary environment? Then we are looking for you!
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is an internationally oriented research university, specializing in engineering, science & technology and is known for its large scientific impact and its role in developing technological innovations. TU/e is a university at the center of society and sets its focus on complex social challenges by concentrating its education and research on three Strategic Areas: Energy, Health and Smart Mobility.
An ambitious university requires dedicated support to our scientists –the support service Data Management & Library (DML) plays a key role at TU/e within the fields of Research Data Management (RDM), General Data Management and Open Science. Furthermore, DML comprises the University library and archives, and provides information skills training to bachelor, master and PhD students. The DML staff totals 50 employees.
We are looking for a research data management specialist (data steward) with an enterprising and customer-oriented attitude, who will shape RDM support to the university’s researchers. You will support researchers in addressing internal and external requirements with regards to RDM, applying FAIR principles to research data, and so contribute to reuse and reproducibility of research. Your work will cover a broad scope of topics, which vary from assistance in RDM planning, advice on storage, archiving and publication of research data, handling privacy-sensitive data, policy making, to providing and developing training in RDM skills. You will serve as first line of support for privacy-related matters, working closely with the Privacy team and performing the first assessment of the privacy compliance in research projects.
Besides, you will contribute to the further development of data stewardship within TU/e. You report to the Head of Research Data Management and closely cooperate with colleague data stewards (DML), colleagues from Information & Management Services (IMS) and other services.
- Support and advise researchers on RDM-related issues such as for example:
- Preparing and implementing Data Management Plans (DMP),
- Drafting data paragraphs for grant proposals,
- Storing, publishing and archiving research data,
- Preparing their submissions for Ethical Review Board approval,
- Handling privacy-sensitive data in compliance with legal requirements and institutionalpolicies and guidelines
- Applying FAIR priniciples to research data,
- Fullfilling financial and legal requirements concerning research data,
- Support and advise researchers on privacy-related issues such as for example:
- Drafting informed consent and privacy notices,
- Evaluating privacy roles within research collaborations and consortia and identifying the needed agreements and documents,
- Identifying and assessing privacy and legal risks (including copyright and licensing) during the entire research lifecycle,
- Preparing Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA) in collaboration with the Privacy team.
- Contribute to the development of data stewardship and RDM services at TU/e,
- Raise awareness on RDM and handling privacy-senstive data among researchers,
- Develop and provide trainings on RDM and privacy/GDPR compliance,
- Establish a functional and appropriate services supply chain for researchers in coordination with colleagues.
You are expected to have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- An academic level of work and thinking, preferably a completed Master or PhD in the technical or medical sciences, and an affinity with research practice,
- Proactive and result-oriented attitude and gain energy from pioneering and collaborating within a relatively new field of work in support of scientific research,
- Ability to easily assimilate knowledge and not afraid to learn on the job,
- Skilled in transferring and sharing knowledge to staff, students, junior researchers and senior researchers,
- Ability to connect and translate various requirements (i.e., legal, policy and technical) into solutions and best practices with regards to research data management and data stewardship,
- Customer-oriented and supportive way of working, gain energy from supporting and solving issues for others,
- Networking skills and feel comfortable with connecting people and building networks,
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills and can be authoritative when the situation requires it.
- You are have excellent English-language skills, both orally and in writing. Proficiency in the Dutch language is not a requirement, but it is an advantage.
Preferably you have:
- Experience in handling privacy-sensitive data and knowledge of GDPR, and/or willingness to develop yourself further in this field.
- Experience in or a demonstrable affinity with research data management and data stewardship within higher education or a research institution.
- Knowledge which will contribute to applying FAIR principles to research data, e.g. on metadata (standards).
You will be appointed for a one-year period. Appointment via Euflex (the TU/e secondment organization) will be considered. If performance is good, this appointment may be made permanent. Full-time gross salary, depending on research experience, competences and educational background, will be a minimum of € 2.790,- and a maximum of € 4.402,- (salary scale 10 CAO NU and UFO profile Data Steward 3). The year-end allowance is 8,3% of the annual salary (corresponding to a monthly salary). The holiday allowance is 8% of the annual salary. In addition, TU/e offers excellent secondary conditions of employment (e.g., a minimum of 41 days of leave based on a 40-hour working week and excellent sports facilities, flexible working hours, an excellent pension scheme via the ABP, etc.).
Informatie en sollicitatie
- For more detailed information about the job please contact Iza Witkowska, Departmental Head Research Data Management, e-mail: email@example.com.
- For questions about conditions of employment contact the HR Services section, HRServices.SupportUnits@firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 040 - 247 4486.
- More information can be obtained from the link: https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/why-tue/compensation-and-benefits/
- An assessment test may be part of the job application procedure. In the assessment test we will focus on your written and oral communication skills (e.g. in the form of a writing assignment and presentation).
If you are interested in this vacancy you can apply by uploading your motivation letter and your curriculum vitae via the “Apply for this job” button. The closing date for this vacancy is 7 November 2021. Internal candidates will have preference to external candidates.
Acquisition with regard to this vacancy is not appreciated.
Solliciteer nuStuur door
Er is geen minimale opleiding vereist
Wat wij bieden
€ 2.790,- tot € 4.402,-