Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is established in Vlissingen and in Schiedam. It is a company with more than 850 professionals, and a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding, its original roots stem back more than 150 years. For more than 50 years Damen Naval has been the dedicated shipbuilder for the Royal Netherlands Navy. Based on decades of accumulated experience, Damen Naval offers navies worldwide a broad range of defence and security vessels, ranging from 7m to more than 200m in length. Damen Naval is the only supplier of naval vessels in the Netherlands. Damen Naval has delivered more than 420 vessels to satisfied customers all over the world and have has earned a reputation for excellence along the way. While taking pride in heritage, Damen Naval is also looking towards the future. Are you ready for duty?
As Legal Counsel at Damen Naval you will provide legal advice and support on all legal aspects of the business and support national & international shipbuilding projects as contract manager. You will deliver support during the proposal and contracting phase and support the project teams as contract manager during the execution of the contract, delivery of the vessel and the warranty period.
As Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for:
- Review and drafting of contracts.
- Support of the organization (procurement) during negotiations and on other legal aspects of the business.
- Develop templates and other contracting tools.
- Legal training for colleagues of other departments to create legal awareness and to avoid legal risks during negotiations / precontractual phase.
- Support of projects as contract manager, analysing the main project contract terms & conditions, including appendixes, and identifying areas of possible risks and opportunities related to the execution of the contract in general and in relation to subcontractors and other suppliers in specific.
- Identifying possible contractual issues and propose solutions in case of disputes and support project management on legal and/or contractual implications.
- Correct contract administration and documentation during the (pre)contract life cycle, implements changes in contracts and/or appendixes and handling claims when needed during execution of the contract including during warranty period, in close consultation with the legal counsels and (project) management.
- Preparing contract changes for internal review and approval.
- Monitoring transaction compliance (milestones, deliverables, invoicing, etc.).
- Ensure compliance with company policies as all applicable (int.) laws and regulations.
- Prepare, review, and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
Skills & experience
As Legal Counsel, you need to have:
- Master degree in (Dutch) Law combined with relevant experience preferably gained in international shipbuilding business, or manufacturing or construction business.
- Experience in general in-company legal counsel practices and international or national contract law.
- Competences: customer, results and quality orientation, teamwork, behavioural flexibility, planning, organizing, problem analysis, judgment, independence and negotiating.
- Excellent command of the Dutch and English both written and verbal is essential.
- Excellent antecedents as a pre-employment security screening and investigation are a part of the recruitment procedure (given the military nature of our projects).
- EU citizenship or valid EU work visa is required to be considered as viable candidate.
What we offer
As Damen Naval we highly value our employees, and we will support your professional and personal development. To that end we invest in all our employees by offering:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment.
- A competitive salary package and other benefits.
- On-going learning and development opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Are you interested in the position of Legal Counsel, and do you recognise yourself in the job description? Please respond directly via career.damen.com.
For more information about the vacancy, Damen Naval or the application process, please visit career.damen.com or call the Corporate Recruitment department on +31 (0)118- 485 000.
Please note, that only candidates with an EU citizenship or valid EU work visa will be considered as viable candidates. A pre-employment and security screening and investigation form part of the recruitment process.
Damen Naval does not approve of commercial, contractor and/or agency acquisition or commercial use of this advertisement. Proposing candidates without invitation is not appreciated and will not be considered.
Please note that Damen Naval is closed from August 1 to 15 and the recruitment department will enjoy their vacation in August. After this period, they will respond to your application as soon as possible.