Solliciteer op de website van de werkgever
The Faculty of 3mE carries out pioneering research, leading to new fundamental insights and challenging applications in the field of mechanical engineering. From large-scale energy storage, medical instruments, control technology and robotics to smart materials, nanoscale structures and autonomous ships. The foundations and results of this research are reflected in outstanding, contemporary education, inspiring students and PhD candidates to become socially engaged and responsible engineers and scientists. The faculty of 3mE is a dynamic and innovative faculty with an international scope and high-tech lab facilities. Research and education focus on the design, manufacture, application and modification of products, materials, processes and mechanical devices, contributing to the development and growth of a sustainable society, as well as prosperity and welfare.
The Department of BioMechanical Engineering (BMechE) coordinates the Education and Research activities in the field of Mechanical Engineering techniques, like modeling and design, to analyze the interaction between biological and technical systems. The research and education portfolio of the Department BMechE is positioned at the nexus of Mechanical Engineering, Biology, and Medicine, with the general aim of impacting health. By developing and applying novel modeling and design approaches to Biology and Medicine, we aim to advance the understanding of the interaction between humans and technical systems, to design and build such systems, and, through this, to generate novel platform knowledge and technology to improve the quality and safety of life.Functie omschrijving
TU Delft has an academic vacancy on Cardiovascular Biomechanics, with a special focus on device-tissue interaction, at the faculty of Mechanical, Maritime and Materials engineering (3mE) in the department of Biomechanical Engineering.
With this tenure track position, the department intends to expand its recent collaboration with the department of Biomedical Engineering from the Erasmus MC on multiscale cardiovascular biomechanics. In light of the recent commitment of both universities, we expect to expand the existing collaboration between the departments of Biomechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering with the aim to establish a new section on multiscale cardiovascular biomechanics.
Your research should ideally be rooted in multiscale soft tissue biomechanics. A strong interest in tissue-device interaction, specifically aimed as cardiovascular applications, is a benefit.
You expand and strengthen collaboration on cardiovascular biomechanics within the faculty and within the Medical Delta and in time create your own research line in conjunction with relevant scientific and clinical partners. You are expected to acquire grants to expand the research capacity and to build up your own research group. You will be working in close collaboration with and under the guidance of, Dr. Gijsen and Dr. Akiyildiz, who both have a joint position in the two departments.
• You provide high-quality education for both bachelor and master students in the field of cardiovascular biomechanics.
• You show a clear commitment to the quality of courses on biomechanics throughout the whole curriculum of the faculty of 3mE.
• You contribute to the faculty’s and the university’s pedagogical mission through the supervision of student projects (for example bachelor’s and master’s theses) and by acting as a supervisor of PhD students.
• You are expected to use and introduce innovative methods and techniques in teaching in order to cope with large classes and to obtain high success rates.
• Your teaching duties are negotiated in agreement with and based on your specific profile.
• You are prepared to provide services to the scientific community, to society and to the university in function of the needs and your personal interests.
• You maintain close contact with non-profit organizations and companies in the domains of health, learning, arts and/or entertainment.
• You play an active part in promoting the TU Delft, in particular the faculty of 3mE, towards new students and the wider professional field by participating in open days, networking and events.
• You have a degree in engineering with a relevant profile, preferably mechanical or biomedical engineering.
• You have a strong research track record in the discipline of soft tissue biomechanics, preferably related to instrumentation / device design and testing. Preferably, you have contributed to the valorisation of research in industry and/or in society. International experience is an important advantage.
• You have affinity with experimental work, and using modern data acquisition equipment.
• You have teaching experience on the bachelor and the master level in course subjects relevant to the field.
• You like to create and innovate, to organise and collaborate in a university context, together with stakeholders.
• You are a good communicator. You show enthusiasm, empathy, commitment and passion.
• You can inspire and motivate other people, you can coach and delegate, and know how to deal with diversity.
• A good command of English is required. TU Delft provides master courses in the English language.
• The bachelor courses at TU Delft are all in the Dutch language. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of your employment, TU Delft will provide language training to enable you to take part in meetings.
A tenure-track position is offered for six years. In the fifth year we’ll decide if you will be offered a permanent faculty position, based on performance indicators agreed upon at the start of the appointment. We expect that you have the potential to grow towards an Associate Professor and/or Full Professor role in the future. Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. We expect you to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) within three years if you have less than five years of teaching experience. This is provided by the TU Delft UTQ programme. TU Delft sets high standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. The TU Delft offers training to improve English competency. If you do not speak Dutch, we offer courses to learn the Dutch language within three years. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount on health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. For international applicants we offer the Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice to assist you with your relocation. An International Children's Centre offers childcare and there is an international primary school.
TU Delft creates equal opportunities and encourages women to apply.
If you need more information, do not hesitate to contact Prof.dr. DirkJan Veeger (email@example.com)or Dr. Frank Gijsen(firstname.lastname@example.org).
For information about the selection procedure, please contact Nathalie van Benthem, HR-advisor, email: application-3mE@tudelft.nl.
To apply for this vacancy please submit:
• a motivation letter,
• a detailed CV,
• a research plan and teaching statement,
• electronic copies of your top three publications, and
• contact data of three references,
by 15 June 2020 to application-3mE@tudelft.nl. All these items should be combined in one PDF document. When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number 3mE20-48.
Acquisitie naar aanleiding van deze vacature wordt niet op prijs gesteld.
Uren per week: 38.0 uur per week
Salaris: € 3.637,- tot € 4.978,- per maand