Reference number 2019/113. The start date is August 1st, 2019 or by agreement. The initial 3-year position can be extended for another 3 years after successful evaluation. In principle, this position can be divided into two half-time positions.
The University of Konstanz has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative since 2007.
The Zoology and Neuroscience Group at the University of Konstanz studies olfactory coding, behaviour, learning and memory in insects, notably honeybees, ants, fruit flies and locusts. We are an international team with strong interdisciplinary approach, spanning from optophysiology and electrophysiology, behaviour, all the way to computational neuroscience. The working language is English.Tasks
- Develop your own research field, preferably aiming to understand the neuronal basis of olfactory processing and social behaviour.
- Participate in collaborative research projects within and outside the department, e.g. within the IMPRS (Graduate School between University of Konstanz and Max Planck) and the Excellence Cluster on Collective Behaviour.
- Contribute to teaching in Zoology and Neuroscience at all proficiency levels (Bachelor, Master, Teacher's training, Graduate School). German language is not a prerequisite, most teaching is done in English.
- You should hold a Ph.D. and have a background in neurobiology and behaviour of insects.
- Applicants working on one or more of the following subject areas are particularly welcome: Insect olfaction and olfactory coding, learning and memory, computational neuroscience, collective behaviour, odour communication in social insects, action selection in insects.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and influence skills.
- Good development opportunities, extensive training and an attractive remuneration package.
- An interdisciplinary, exciting and international research environment for studying the neurobiology of insects.
- Access to the equipment in the Neuroscience group (electrophysiology, optical imaging, multiphoton microscopy, behavioral setups, gas chromatography, animal care facility).
- Access to central facilities of the department of Biology (bioimaging center, proteomics center, electron microscopy) and the Cluster of Excellence.
We look forward to receiving your application with the usual documents until 30th July 2019