All Amazon teams and businesses, from Prime delivery to AWS, are guided by four key tenets: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking.
We are driven by the excitement of building technologies, inventing products, and providing services that transform the way our customers live their lives and run their businesses.
Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
What unites Amazonians across teams and geographies is that we are all striving to delight our customers and make their lives easier. The scope and scale of our mission drives us to seek diverse perspectives, be resourceful, and navigate through ambiguity. Inventing and delivering things that were never thought possible isn't easy, but we embrace this challenge every day.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time.
Come build the future with us.
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated Data Operations Team Manager. You will build, train and lead a team of Data Linguists, performing linguistic and technical operations aiming at improvement of Machine Learning technology in Berlin, Germany.
You can work with minimum direction, are very detail-oriented, have demonstrated experience in people management, have excellent project management skills, and possesses very strong written and verbal communication skills.
Specifically, the Data Operations Team Manager will:
· Manage job assignment for a team of Data Linguists (typically with Linguistics or Localization/Translation background) on a day-to-day basis
· Support hiring and training of new Data Linguists
· Ensure productivity is maximized through supervision, training, analysis, and feedback of performance data on a periodic basis
· Provide regular, formal and informal feedback to direct reports
· Develop the work schedule for the week by balancing work across various workflows and/or navigating competing delivery priorities, proposing risk mitigation strategies where necessary
· Partner closely with Program Managers, Technical Program Managers, and other global operations team leads on protocol/process development for existing and future language development workflows
· Track and report on quality and utilization metrics
· File and track tickets, following up on blocks to productivity
· Identify and help implement process-related improvement using methodologies such as Scrum, Kaizen, Six Sigma.
· Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a relevant field (or equivalent professional experience)
· Experience with performance and throughput metrics, analysis and reporting
· Basic Scrum/Agile knowledge
· Experience managing and coaching employees
· Experience as a hiring manager
· Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very detail-oriented
· Ability to work with and eliminate ambiguity
· Proficiency in English, both spoken and written
· Master’s degree or MBA
· Proven industry experience with spoken language understanding systems or machine learning
· Experience with data collection, processing, quantitative analysis and reporting
· Experience in leading medium, multi-track, fast-moving teams
· Experience in managing process and operational escalations
· Track record of strong business judgement
· Experience with project management
· Demonstrated ability to lead diverse talent within a team, work cross-functionally, and build consensus on difficult issues
· Strong interest in hiring and developing people in their respective roles
· Strong Microsoft Excel skills and experience with scripting languages
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.