At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up but with the resources of planet Earth’s #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both users and the accommodation partners.
Booking.com is not afraid to experiment, think big or aim high!
Booking.com believes that diversity makes us stronger – with over 60 different nationalities in the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and develop your career in a multicultural environment.
As well as working independently, you will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team. The development strategy at Booking.com is agile and which means working in small Scrum teams of 5-7. Booking.com does several code rollouts every day, is data-driven and does extensive A/B testing on both user and partner facing platforms.
The Security department is part of the Central Tech Organization at Booking.com. Our responsibilities varies from securing the production infrastructure, corporate infrastructure, accounts and application to fraud prevention on both sides of the business (partners side and users side). In Security you will have the chance to work on exciting topics such as detecting application vulnerability detection or stolen credit cards prevention.
As a Software Developer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Solving issues with the systems you own, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Most products are developed in Perl, but not all. Where applicable, we also build web services in Java. Perl is very effective when it comes to rapid prototyping, which our product development teams do a lot of. It’s not necessary to know Perl before you start, but it helps. We are not just using the language, we influence the future of the language. Having working knowledge of Spark and Python would be a plus for building machine learning features.
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding and other recruitment efforts
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 3 years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably in languages like Perl, Java, Python, Go etc.
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Experience in working with Machine Learning models is preferred
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 26 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- Generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam