Here at Booking.com, we experiment at remarkable speeds. Sometimes, we fail just as fast. But that’s okay. We have over 150 small, agile tech teams with diverse skills and broad experience, who innovate very quickly. As a result, we are the largest and the best place to book hotels and other accommodation in the world.
We’re looking for Technical Team Leads for our Amsterdam HQ who can encourage inclusion, embrace diversity, and grow the talent in your team whilst also getting their hands dirty with code.B.responsible
This exciting role with us will require you to find a happy medium between being a hands-on Software Developer and a People Manager.
From a technical perspective, you'll be building and crafting features and products in one of our many different business areas. As a Software Developer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
When it comes to management, your expertise in handling people will motivate and inspire them to reach outstanding success! You should have experience in developing people, i.e. assisting an individual with a promotion. You will mentor and coach your team while working closely with a Product Owner.
Your day to day will look a little like:
- Facilitate an agile development team (small team of 5 – 7 people)
- Identify and support growth of talents, provide feedback and look after people’s personal development.
- Assess individual and team performance, recognize and promote excellent performance, and address under-performance.
- Focus on supporting the business priorities, be pragmatic about technology choices.
- Collaborate with the team and Product Owner to prioritize the projects.
- Rapidly develop next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Contribute to Booking.com’s growth through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- A minimum of 4 years software development experience and still currently hands on.
- Experience with 2 or more backend programming languages.
- Previous experience with distributed systems.
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base.
People Management Skills:
- You have at least one year management experience of people.
- You have a successful track record of leading development teams consisting of minimum 4 people.
- You are developing people - commonly mentoring, coaching and supporting personal development.
- You have examples of motivating and improving the performance of team members.
- Experience to successfully collaborate and communicate with non-technical business parties.
- You are giving and receiving feedback regularly.
- Understanding and measuring individual and team performance indicators is desirable.
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe.
- Contributing to a high-scale, complex, world-renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Performance-based company that offers 26 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package, and some excellent added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com.
- Working in a diverse environment with people from every walk of life.
- Promoting and driving impactful and creative engineering solutions.
We believe that diversity makes us stronger – with over 80 different nationalities in the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and advance your career in a multicultural environment.
Did we make you curious?
This position is open to people worldwide. If you are relocating to join us, our dedicated Expat Services team we will assist you with a generous relocation package and specialist advice, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam.
Please apply via our website with your English CV. We are looking forward to hearing from you.