Director of Product in, Core Accommodations
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest ecommerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 billion and revenues of $12.7 billion (2018). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travelers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts and even tree houses. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
At Booking.com, we are all involved in making hundreds of decisions every day. The decisions we make are a reflection of our Values - they reflect what is important to us, both as individuals and as an organisation.
When we use our Values to make decisions, we make a deliberate choice to focus on what is important. When Values are made explicit, they provide clarity on what “good” looks like. And when they are shared, they build unity in a group. They build culture.
- Think customer first. We obsess about adding value for our customers - guests, partners, colleagues - to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
- Own it. We deliver on our promises, make informed decisions and prfioritize to get the important things done today.
- Learn forever. We are resilient, take time to reflect, and seek to learn – from colleagues, from the outside world and from our failures.
- Succeed together. We celebrate team success, through making connections, building trust and valuing the diverse perspectives of others.
- Do the right thing. We get the right results the right way. For each other, our communities and the world around us.
Financial and Operational Highlights
On 7 November 2019, Booking Holdings announced total revenues for the 3rd quarter of 2019 were $5.0 billion, a 4% increase from the prior year (approximately 7% on a constant-currency basis). Net income in the 3rd quarter was $1.9 billion, an 8% increase versus the prior year.
Booking.com Leadership Team
Chief Executive Officer, Glenn Fogel
SVP, Chief Finance Officer, Marcela Martin
SVP, Chief Marketing Officer, Arjan Dijk
SVP, Accommodations, Pepijn Rijvers
SVP, Chief Product Officer, David Vismans
SVP, Chief Legal Officer, Maria Barros SVP, Commercial Operations & interim Chief People Officer, James Waters
Director of Product in, Core Accommodations
As a Director of Product in, Core Accommodations Convenience you are responsible forleading a department of self steering teams who develop products and constantly innovate to delight our customers. We hire fiercely entrepreneurial product managers and empower them to innovate.Do you want to redefine the way travelers experience the world?
Our vision is to empower people to experience the world. Wherever our customers go and whatever they do, they book it with us. With over 1.5 million room nights booked every day in our 1.5 million + accommodations worldwide, our daily mission is to make travel, experience and exploration accessible for everyone, everywhere. As our business is constantly growing, we are looking for a Director of Product to join our team, impact our users on a daily basis and take our product to the next level.
Reports to: Senior Director of Product
- Most of all, you have end to end responsibility for product tracks of Booking.com across
- multiple devices and channels and you will always push people to improve the user
- journey while making sure it is consistent.
- Together with Directors of Software Development, have a good overview of team’s
- impact and ROI. Challenge, clarify and sign off on investment requests and decisions;
- responsible for triggering team repurposing discussions and decisions.
- You will lead a team to deliver product value proposition, key features and positioning for
- key elements of Booking.com experience
- You need to drive and lead the strategic direction of your tracks, also for non product
- activities, and challenge the direction of other teams
- Responsible to measure success KPI’s and report tracks and team performance on team / track performance and business impact
- You will contribute to the strategic direction of the company.
- You will build an organisation that systematically and consistently drives strategy and delivers great product experiences.
- You will contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, onboarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Empower people to do their best work at Booking.com.
- 8+ years of Product Leadership Experience with high traffic (100,000+ visitors per day), preferably E-commerce sites or marketplace companies.
- Experience and familiarity with building end-to-end experiences in complex environments , marketplace platforms, and programs that have been successfully adopted by the ecosystem
- Subject matter expertise in Product Management with a proven track record of building successful innovative and scalable products - vision, strategy and roadmap,
- KPIs/objectives setting, ideation and implementation process, team alignment with business goals
- Experience with managing and coaching teams of senior product managers/product owners including building and growing teams
- Experience working with product and tech departments and cross functional senior stakeholders
- Expert in leading through influence with stakeholders including executives Skillful use of testing and data to move quickly
- Strong project management Skills; how to plan, set and manage to reasonable timelines,
- while delivering projects that align with the business strategy
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up their sleeves to get things done
- Self-starter with high energy and drive; fast-paced and results-driven; forward-thinking
- Experimental, ready to learn and open to change
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do
- Good cultural and organisational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes relationships and enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, and trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, and effectively. Establishes relationships inside and outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers and decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives and reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.
APPENDIX: BUSINESS LEADERS BOOKING.COM AND INDUSTRY COMMENTARY
Business Leaders and Overview
- Glenn Fogel (CEO):Videoon outlook and competition from Google
- Booking Holdings and Expedia in arms race to deliver the connected trip
- Booking takes flight
- Brand Business - an interview with Arjan Dijk
- 4 Booking.com Product You Might Now Know About
- Booking launches ride-hailing service in partnership with Grab
- Booking.com:The Oral History of Travel's Greatest Acquisition
- Booking.com’s Executive Biographies
- Booking Holdings andacquisitions and internal growth
- Quarterly Results and Annual Reports Booking Holdings
- Skift article:Booking's Marsha Ma on How to Succeed in China
Amsterdam and Relocation
- Life in Amsterdam and Relocating to Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Campus project and video here
- Working at Booking.com
- Amsterdam Teleport Information
- 30% ruling Amsterdam info and online calculator
- Numbeo cost of living comparison