Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third-largest e-commerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 Billion and revenues of $14.5 Billion (2018). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide. With a mission to empower people to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travellers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts, tree houses and even igloos. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries and territories worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily with Booking.com, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
Financial and Operational Highlights
On 7 November 2019, Booking Holdings announced total revenues for the 3rd quarter of 2019 were $5.0 billion, a 4% increase from the prior year (approximately 7% on a constant-currency basis). Net income in the 3rd quarter was $1.9 billion, an 8% increase versus the prior year.
Are you an outstanding leader? Can you solve complex problems of scale and drive change across a geographically diverse team of 17,000+ employees? Are you excited about joining one of the most successful brands in e-commerce and online travel?
Booking.com is the planet’s #1 accommodation site. With a mission to empower people to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Whether in our Amsterdam HQ or at one of our 214 offices worldwide, our 17,000 employees work hard to help make more than one million travel dreams come true every single day. As we continue to scale at incredible speed and embark on our next chapter, we are actively recruiting the next generation of global executives, with exciting opportunities across a broad range of functions.
Our mission at Booking.com is to create visionary, innovative, and personalized travel experiences for millions of customers all across the world. We want customers to have an amazing experience wherever and whenever they choose: mobile, web, and through partners and 3rd parties.
To make all this possible, our developers expect best-of-class tools and platforms to build on. We have a diversity of products both in market and planned, ranging from classic programming languages integrated with our HTML templating solutions to modern Java, Golang, node.js, Kubernetes, and event driven computing. We require distributed debugging and tracing facilities, easy to use CI/CD, environments for rapid development of SOA and microservice architectures, code collaboration tools, and more. We aim to enable more innovation and faster time to value, and always reduce toil as much as possible. The experience of designing features, writing code, testing, debugging, deploying and experimenting should be seamlessly integrated to the product lifecycle.
We reduce barriers to adopt new technologies giving our developers more freedom to choose whatever technologies make sense for their service. Our architecture will enable each service to be continuously integrated and deployed independently at scale. The developer experience is the key foundation to all of these goals.
We are searching for an experienced and technology driven leader to define and manage the end to end developer experience at Booking.com, one of the largest e-Commerce engines in the world. You’ll listen to stakeholders and align the product roadmap to their needs, create a vision of success with your leadership team, hire and mentor engineering and product leaders in your organization, manage the execution, and evangelize the experience across Booking.com.
- Set and implement our developer experience strategy, a critical component of our technical foundation.
- Define best practices for software engineering, in conjunction with our principals and fellows across Booking.com tech community. Create technology, mechanisms, and processes to implement these standards across our product teams.
- Develop a sustainable, high performance organization which listens to the customer needs, bring innovative ideas and technology to the discussion, and mechanisms to deliver on predictable schedules year over year.
- Lead a multi-disciplinary organization and build a strong leadership bench. Coach and develop engineering managers, product managers, and principal engineers.
- Deliver SDKs, frameworks, protocol services, build tools and infrastructure to both internal developers and 3rd parties who are part of our marketplace ecosystem. Create a customer-centric support system for feedback, early adopter and change management.
- Manage the lifecycle for our tools and technologies from launch to deprecation, mapping investments in new technology to business impact and requirements in a highly competitive global travel market.
- Create and manage our strategy for external representation to the worldwide development community, helping attract top engineering talent and establishing our technical brand as a leader.
- Industry experience at fast moving, innovative global technology companies; 10+ years of engineering leadership with demonstrated success
- Experience leading managers and multi-disciplinary teams of engineers, SREs, technical product managers, DBAs, and sysadmin functions.
- Development experience with large, Internet scale applications and distributed systems spanning multiple languages, platforms, front and back end development, and public cloud platforms. Passion for writing, debugging, and managing code of all sorts from ideation to production deployment.
- Knowledge and curiosity for the latest trends in development methodologies, and an understanding of how they are being applied successfully at scale.
- Excellent communication skills; excellent written and verbal proficiency to present complex technical topics to product and business leaders in relevant language to their organizations.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field; Masters or higher preferred.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes relationships and enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, and trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, and effectively. Establishes relationships inside and outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers and decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives and reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done
- Self-starter with high energy and drive; fast-paced and results-driven; forward-thinking
- Experimental, ready to learn and open to change
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
Reward philosophy - designed to give you the best ‘deal’ possible:
- Opportunity to grow professionally and to shape the future of the global travel industry
- A high-scale, complex, world-renowned product
- See the real-time impact of your work
- Smart, driven colleagues and a fast-paced, performance-driven culture
- Great headquarters in Amsterdam, one of Europe’s most cosmopolitan cities
- Scope for rapid career development, continuous training and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and great added perks