Change & Performance Delivery Director, Customer Service
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest ecommerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 billion and revenues of $12.7 billion (2018). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travelers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts, tree houses and even igloos. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries and territories worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily with Booking.com, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
Financial and Operational Highlights
On 7 August 2019, Booking Holdings announced total revenues for the 2nd quarter of 2019 were $3.9 billion, a 9% increase from the prior year (approximately 14% on a constant-currency basis). Net income in the 2nd quarter was $979 million, which was in line with the prior year.
Booking.com Leadership Team
Chief Executive Officer, Glenn Fogel
SVP, Chief Finance Officer, Marcela Martin
SVP, Chief Marketing Officer, Arjan Dijk
SVP, Head of Accommodations, Pepijn Rijvers
SVP, Chief Product Officer, David Vismans
SVP, General Counsel, Maria Barros
SVP, Commercial Operations & interim Chief People Officer, James Waters
For more information on the leadership biographies: please visit https://globalnews.booking.com/executive-biographies/
Profile Change & Performance Delivery Director, Customer Service
The philosophy of Booking.com is that Customer Service (CS) is not a cost centre to the business but instead focuses on the value of CS, and being a customer and partner first business. Our CS organization is responsible for providing exceptional customer service and is split between two segments: partner (CSP) and guest (CSG), with agents solely focused on providing either guest or partner support and being the connection point between the two. Insights CS agents gain from contact with partners and guests are shared with the wider business to help inform future developments. We have several thousand CS agents all around the world today, supporting in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
The Change and performance delivery Director (CPD) will be responsible for the implementation of the change programme with the following key objectives:
- Change management and PMO: Implementation, governance and PMO methodology including the development of an effective mechanism for prioritising and potentially combining new initiatives and the ‘lock in’ of all performance improvement initiatives
- Communications: Managing the communication of change including activity included in the development of changes in test stages pre implementation together with the ongoing cascade of general communications across the Customer Services Business
- Learning and Development: Training and development to embed change in Customer Service along with the development of ongoing career and technical pathway learning development initiatives and all knowledge management to embed learning
- Quality Management: Maintenance and management of practical and appropriate framework to provide a qualitative assessment of quality against agreed standards
- Active participation in the overall management of the Central Operations function including a stake in the development and assessment of all potential initiatives from initial analytics and insight to implementation and control
The CPD will have ownership for all major change programs across the CS organization participating in providing input on the long-term ambitions for our department. The role sits within our CS Central Operations function. The CPD will partner with other groups in the Central Operations function, other tracks within CS Global Support, other BU’s and Business Functions and any other stakeholder groups depending on the program/project they are overseeing and to ensure the delivery of their program portfolios.
The CPD will provide balance to our long-term strategy and more immediate needs of service delivery. They will drive implementation across a program portfolio of initiatives to deliver and ‘lock in’ target performance and share insights regarding progress, risks and opportunities. They will lead and manage a team of program and project management professionals, communication, knowledge management, quality and learning and development specialists. They are accountable for the creation and maintenance of a flexible governance model of the program Management Office (PMO) at Booking.com within CS. They will work cross-functionally within Commercial Operations and other departments as well to manage the success of CS business, operational, and customer experience or journey initiatives.
This role reports to the Senior Director, Central Operations of Customer Service , and is located in Amsterdam. They will work in programs in a matrixed organization, and will also have dotted line relationships within Global or Regional functions directly related to their programs and scope. Total impacted operational population in 2019 to be 10,000 FTE covering 42 languages, multiple product lines, and service channels.
Reports to: Senior Director, Central Operations of Customer Service
- Manage a diverse team to drive successful global change programs
- Be the Central Operations leadership voice for our change programs
- Create and maintain a global governance framework for major programs and projects
- Manage key operational initiatives through a disciplined, customer focused, program management approach; identify and resolve project and program issues
- Build consensus and influence decision-making within executive- and senior-level audiences. Work effectively with all peers and stakeholders (such as WFM & Finance, Regional Operations, Product and PS), create strong cross-functional collaboration with other departments and external vendors to ensure successful delivery of programs and projects impacting CS
- Participate in the development and implementation of the CS Strategy as part of the Central Operations Leadership Team and broader CS Extended Leadership Team
- Participate in the evaluation, planning and implementation of major programs for products and services purchased from third-party suppliers and vendors worldwide specific to CS. Participate in the development of commercials with third-party suppliers and be the point of contact for the development of the implementation plans.
- Lead the support functions essential to embed change including communications, knowledge management and learning and development
- Establish career pathway learning and development initiatives to continue to drive change through this function and ensure that each project is reviewed and prioritised
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 10+ years of related experience in driving performance and programs in a complex CS or similar environment. Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar certification preferred
- 10+ years general management and proven record in managing all facets of complex large multinational operations
- Highly aware of the general operations of call centre operations, including but not limited to: WFM, forecasting and financial management, Change Management, Operational Excellence, (including Process management) People performance/development including Learning & Development trends, (including agile learning principles, adult learning methodologies, digital learning) , Quality Assurance (including setting Quality standards, QM, feedback process) Knowledge management and organisational change management
- 5+ years in managing vendors & commercial relationships
- Able to work independently, as well as extremely team-focused; supports team and peer decisions
- Able to explain highly technical topics to diverse audiences
- Experience of establishing and delivering large scale and complex change including PMO disciplines
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Possess excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexible and a positive attitude
- Self-motivated and able to take ownership of key topics
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done
- Strong executive presence and ability to communicate strategy clearly and simply
- Data driven
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes internal relationships and leverages external relationships.
- Enhances the level of cooperation, collaboration, and trust between people.
- Fosters a culture where people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates where appropriate, retaining respect for the control function the role occupies.
- Takes time to identify and engage stakeholders, seeking consensus and/or understanding
- Identifies’ opportunities to build and enhance relationships that help others achieve their objectives, reaching out proactively.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.