JOB DESCRIPTION FOR:
Customer Service (CS) Director, Global Service Delivery
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest ecommerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 billion and revenues of $12.7 billion (2018). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travelers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts, tree houses and even igloos. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries and territories worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily with Booking.com, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
At Booking.com, we are all involved in making hundreds of decisions every day. The decisions we make are a reflection of our Values - they reflect what is important to us, both as individuals and as an organization.
When we use our Values to make decisions, we make a deliberate choice to focus on what is important. When Values are made explicit, they provide clarity on what “good” looks like. And when they are shared, they build unity in a group. They build culture.
- Think customer first. We obsess about adding value for our customers - guests, partners, colleagues - to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
- Own it.We deliver on our promises, make informed decisions and prioritize to get the important things done today.
- Learn forever.We are resilient, take time to reflect, and seek to learn – from colleagues, from the outside world and from our failures.
- Succeed together.We celebrate team success, through making connections, building trust and valuing the diverse perspectives of others.
- Do the right thing.We get the right results the right way. For each other, our communities and the world around us.
Financial and Operational Highlights
On 7 November 2019, Booking Holdings announced total revenues for the 3rd quarter of 2019 were $5.0 billion, a 4% increase from the prior year (approximately 7% on a constant-currency basis). Net income in the 3rd quarter was $1.9 billion, an 8% increase versus the prior year.
Booking.com Leadership Team
Chief Executive Officer, Glenn Fogel
SVP, Chief Finance Officer, Marcela Martin
SVP, Chief Marketing Officer, Arjan Dijk
SVP, Head of Accommodations, Pepijn Rijvers
SVP, Chief Product Officer, David Vismans
SVP, General Counsel, Maria Barros
SVP, Commercial Operations & interim Chief People Officer, James Waters
For more information on the leadership biographies: please visit https://globalnews.booking.com/executive-biographies/
Profile CS Director, Global Service Delivery
The philosophy of Booking.com is that Customer Service (CS) is not a cost centre to the business but instead focuses on the value of CS, and being a customer and partner first business. Our CS organization is responsible for providing exceptional customer service and is split between two segments: partner (CSP) and guest (CSG), with agents solely focused on providing either guest or partner support and being the connection point between the two. Insights CS agents gain from contact with partners and guests are shared with the wider business to help inform future developments. We have several thousand CS agents all around the world today, supporting in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
As Booking.com envisions a future in which it will serve customers a one-stop solution for all travel-related needs, we are working towards offering a fully ‘Connected Trip’, in which every aspect of the travel experience can be planned and booked through us. To support both the growing complexity of the CS operating model and our Connected Trip ambition, the CS Director Global Service Delivery will lead the global Service Delivery team across the internal and outsourced site network.
You are accountable for leading central and regional teams in creating and delivering cohesive, aligned global/regional resourcing strategies, operational performance insights and business continuity management to support Customer Service across all business units.
In addition, you will lead the CS Leadership Team on the analysis of operational performance and managing the delivery of SLA’s in line or better than target by creating a foundation of simple, industry best practice data, statistics, insights and processes that enable optimized and consistent delivery of performance.
This will include:
- Formation of a formal handover process from the commercial strategy team of all elements of the resource plan.
- Challenge where appropriate any input to the pan before converting said input into regional and global resourcing strategies.
- Scheduling of internal and EPS capacity against demand.
- Managing service delivery ‘real team’.
- Creating analysis and insight on performance and driving virtuous cycles back into forecasting and budgeting.
You will also lead cross regional business continuity management, aligned to the Global framework and business continuity management ensuring continuity of service with a focus on customer and colleague welfare.
- Create thorough and formal handover process for receiving, reviewing, challenging and ultimately accepting, CS budget and capacity plan.
- Turn that capacity plan into a regional/global service delivery plan with the full buy in and sponsorship of the CS regional directors and VP of service.
- Ambassador for operational performance stakeholder discussions at leadership level, including CS Leadership team and Global WFM team
- Lead three regional teams managing workforce, business continuity and operational performance teams, delivering scalable leadership, sustained improvement and reduced cost within your own team and across operations
- Be responsible for driving hiring plans that achieve global staffing targets, align with Learning & Quality teams and support regional recruitment requirements
- Lead our Regional Leadership teams to address staffing strategies across multiple teams & departments, ensuring global scalability of regional resources
- Sponsor and drive of strategic MI developments that drive deeper insights into our service delivery and long term resourcing plans
- Constantly seek opportunities for service and cost optimization across the CS estate.
- Maintain continuity of service through transparent communication and strategic action when events impact travel or service capacity
- Serve as strategic influence and stakeholder for global and regional projects that impact customer service performance
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Proven expert in Resource Strategy with at least 10 years of experience gained in fast moving, inbound service centers and 3+ years at leadership level
- Extensive experience leading and executing medium to long term resourcing strategies that use complex workforce principles to significantly improve customer and business service problems
- Experience managing senior stakeholders in a matrixed organization, as well as leading multi-disciplinary Workforce teams
- Experience defining and implementing resource strategies at scale, including negotiating with Operational Leadership for win-win solutions
- Knowledge of cost management, and an understanding of how it is applied in an operations setting
- Experience driving the development of MI that yield insights into operational efficiencies
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, and analytical skills with the ability to generate change that clearly contributes to business success
- Proven track record of success in managing simultaneous, diverse and complex initiatives, including service strategies for new channels and products
- Expert ability to meet deadlines, manage costs, influence business outcomes, and handle multiple priorities
- Effective stakeholder management and influencer, building relationships at both the team and executive levels
- Bachelor degree. Master degree is preferred.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexible and a positive attitude
- Self-motivated and able to take ownership of key topics
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done
- Strong executive presence and ability to communicate strategy clearly and simply
- Data driven
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes internal relationships and leverages external relationships.
- Enhances the level of cooperation, collaboration, and trust between people.
- Fosters a culture where people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates where appropriate, retaining respect for the control function the role occupies.
- Takes time to identify and engage stakeholders, seeking consensus and/or understanding
- Identifies’ opportunities to build and enhance relationships that help others achieve their objectives, reaching out proactively.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.