The U.S. Embassy in The Hague is seeking an individual for the position of
Loodgieter (English title: ‘Plumber’) full-time: 40 hours per week
Please note that we only consider applications that are submitted through the public website of the Embassy (link below). We unfortunately will not consider your application if it is not submitted through the Embassy website. Thank you for your understanding.
The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer/Maintenance Supervisor. The incumbent is employed as a journeyman level Plumbing Maintenance Mechanic to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work on the critical and non-critical Plumbing and mechanical systems throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) functional/office buildings, on-compound ancillary support and residential buildings, above and below ground infrastructures, and other owned/leased properties. The incumbent specializes in the operations and maintenance of plumbing and mechanical systems, apparatuses, and components that are part of the complex operating systems within the Embassy facilities. The incumbent will perform preventive maintenance, repairs, routine service, testing, and when necessary the replacement of plumbing and mechanical equipment. S/He will serve as lead technician on hot and cold water piping systems, wastewater piping systems and vent stacks, storm water management systems, natural gas supply systems, chilled water systems, geothermal wells and pumps, water treatment facilities, fire suppression systems, compressed air systems, fuel storage and distribution systems, and irrigation systems. The incumbent will ensure that servicing and repairs are per the manufacturer’s guidance, meet International Building Code standards, and that equipment is functioning at peak efficiency; incorporates safe work practices into all activities. For additional information, contact the Human Resources Office at 070-310- 2234.
Note: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Applications with incomplete information will be deemed unqualified.
1. Education: Completion of secondary school required. Successful completion of a minimum four (4) year specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level plumbing and mechanical technicians with a vocational degree in Installation Technology.
2. Experience: A minimum of three (3) years’ experience at the journey-level in the installation, repair, and maintenance of commercial plumbing and/or mechanical systems. Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility, and the ability to repair complex equipment, components, and systems.
3. Language Requirements: The incumbent must have Level III (a good working knowledge) verbal and written skills in the use of English in order to understand technical information, contract documents, and correspondence. Must have Level IV (fluent) verbal and written skills in Dutch language in order to communicate with local contractors and other LE Staff.
4. Job Knowledge: The incumbent is required to have a thorough, technical understanding of commercial plumbing/mechanical systems and equipment, with a specialty in plumbing systems. Must know how to diagnose the root cause of a problem and what materials and equipment will be needed to facilitate repairs. Must know how to work safely on equipment, systems and associated components including the use of lock-out / tag-out safety measure. Knowledge of International Building Code (IBC) standards, and fire and life safety codes is required.
5. Skills and Abilities: The incumbent must be able to read and interpret plumbing and mechanical layout drawings, riser diagrams, piping schematics, various equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, as-built drawings, building codes and other construction documents. The incumbent shall have skills and abilities in the following areas: diagnosing and repairing filtration systems, water pumps, hot and cold water systems; testing potable water system components, monitoring of chemical and salt injection systems, and taking equipment readings with various meters; use of hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools to determine appropriate repairs. Additional skills include installation, repair and welding of various types of plumbing pipe such as PVC and CPVC, copper, galvanized, stainless steel, and black pipe; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs. Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, working on ladders at various heights, and working in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors, to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information. Must be computer literate, able to navigate through the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point; able to draft reports and create spreadsheets, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet. A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Must be organized. Must be able to lift 25 kilos.
How to apply
Read the formal announcement on our website and please note: the formal announcement on our website prevails over this announcement when there are differences in the text. Push the 'solliciteren' button to apply.
Closing date of the vacancy: September 25, 2016