Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, high ambition, a drive for results and ensuring our organization is a place where everyone can bring their full and authentic self, where all voices are heard, and where we do our best work as a result. In doing so, we drive inclusive economic opportunity and impact the lives of millions of people around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Microsoft Philanthropies helps bring to life the company’s mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more by empowering communities and nonprofits to realize the potential of technology. We seek to create systemic change by investing in three strategic pillars that help drive inclusive economic opportunity: Digital Skills, Digital Transformation and Community Engagement.
Guided by the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion, the Skills for Jobs Senior Director will lead, manage, and implement our Skills for Jobs strategy under the Digital Skills pillar including program development, partnerships, grants, and go-to-market activities to provide excluded and underserved people and communities with skills, in-demand certifications, and connections to jobs and livelihood opportunities in the digital economy.Responsibilities
- Delivers success through empowerment and accountability by modeling, coaching, and caring.
- Model - Live our culture; Embody our values; Practice our leadership principles
- Coach - Define team objectives and outcomes; Enable success across boundaries; Help the team adapt and learn
- Care - Attract and retain great people; Know each individual’s capabilities and aspirations; Invest in the growth of others
- Leads, oversees, and manages Skills for Jobs strategy, programs, global partnerships, grants, and go-to-market activities.
- Develops strategic vision and/or program frameworks for achieving top-priority Skills for Jobs goals.
- Leads the formation of Microsoft’s Skills for Jobs initiatives and programs based on a broad range of issues and/or corporate responsibility topics, including designing and executing strategic initiatives, and identifying strategic business development opportunities for Microsoft to advance its long-term goals.
- Provides advice and counsel to executive management on unusually complex and critical digital skilling and workforce development issues or matters of concern to Microsoft and the industry.
- Develops, implements, and executes Skills for Jobs initiatives to address highly complex local, regional, national, and global community and civic engagement needs in alignment with Microsoft's corporate social responsibility standards.
- Leads the management of large scale, executive level corporate Skills for Jobs initiatives that build resiliency, self-sufficiency, and opportunities for individuals and communities.
- Develops and manages large scale, executive level project timelines, budgets, and plans for Skills for Jobs programs and initiatives.
- Develops and implements processes to facilitate highly strategic program development, outreach, and execution, and assesses feasibility and impact of program extension to other executive level internal and external communities.
Business, Technical, and Societal Expertise
- Provides thought leadership and/or champions initiatives and solutions that significantly impact the advancement of Microsoft, industry, and/or community long-term objectives and priorities.
- Aligns and leverages resources across internal and external communities to ensure a positive impact of Skills for Jobs initiatives.
- Advocates for and communicates Microsoft’s perspective on highly strategic digital skills and workforce issues with executive level internal and external decision makers, thought leaders, and garners their support to significantly impact the advancement of Microsoft’s CSR agenda.
- Serves as a spokesperson for Skills for Jobs to drive and enhance company reputation.
- Understands and applies deep, contextualized knowledge of Microsoft and Corporate and Legal Affairs strategies to drive results and program integrity.
- Develops proposals for how Microsoft products and software can be used to solve societal issues and create opportunities in the community, especially around digital skills and workforce development.
- Leads discussions in internal and external events to inspire outreach and communicate information on Microsoft Skills for Jobs programs.
- Develops and influences partnerships (e.g., nonprofit, international governmental organizational, public sector, advocacy, academic) to advance Skills for Jobs and represent Microsoft.
- Leads the implementation of improvements to major Skills for Jobs initiatives based on community and stakeholder feedback.
- Provides thought leadership for identifying and closing high-impact business development opportunities, removing roadblocks to drive business results, and strategically partnering with the Skills for Jobs team and other key business/client leads.
- Designs, leads, and collaborates on cross-group projects that are of strategic importance to Microsoft or that involve senior executive participation, to develop scalable and sustainable solutions.
- Leads the resolution of competing policy approaches or priorities related to digital skills and/or workforce policy by collaborating with Corporate and Legal Affairs senior management and other Microsoft senior executives to ensure a coordinated approach on issues with Microsoft-wide impact or high external visibility.
- Proactively collaborates with and influences senior-level stakeholders across the company to guide business and product strategies, identify partnerships to grow the business, and ensure alignment of objectives, priorities, and resources.
- Embody our culture and values
- Applies a racial and gender equity lens to developing, managing, and overseeing Skills for Jobs initiatives and programs
- Bachelor's Degree AND 10+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area OR 12+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area.
- 5+ years experience in senior roles working on workforce training or related issues
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 15+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area.In-house counsel experience
- 5+ years experience managing a corporate social responsibility or related program.
- 5+ years of people or team management experience.
- 5+ years experience working in or with a large, matrixed organization.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.