Principal Designer - Trips Design Foundations
Job DescriptionAbout Booking.com
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world.About the Role
Booking.com began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we’ve been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, the Trips Business Unit is building a platform that connects all parts of the trip – from accommodation to flights, transport, tickets, tours and more - leading the evolution of Booking.com from a single-product company to a multi-product offering company with an unprecedented, personalized travel experience to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
You’ll be the Principal Designer - Trips Design Foundations, helping understand, define and craft the future of the connected trip, connecting the end-to-end user experience, identifying and shaping product strategy, and continuously raise the bar for design quality across the Trips Business Unit.B.responsible
This role will help shape new products and services, craft and scale user interface foundations, and work closely with PX Design Foundations to ensure dissemination of design and accessibility standards across the Trips Business Unit. Producing designs that serve as benchmarks for the organization as a whole and partnering closely with the design, product, research, technology and UX writing leaders to drive future development of key products and services. You will guide the design of user experiences, product strategy or features through leadership and mentorship of designers, with a commitment to creating simple, coherent, elegant and compelling experiences that deliver real value to our users.
Important aspects of the job include:Craft & Delivery
Design & Experience Strategy
- Facilitate the long-term design vision for Trips by developing innovative new ideas and solutions, leading creation and development of “the vision” collaboratively or independently with peers in design, research and product.
- Help shape new products and services and detail the strategic direction of those new paths in order to drive forward progress. Fostering understanding, building consensus, and ensuring commitment to long-term product and design vision across multiple tracks and teams
- Connect the dots between teams and facilitate collaborative processes to provide continuous design direction and innovation. .
- Shares expert knowledge of user flows, product features, and underlying technologies across teams and tracks.
- Contributes to advancements in Booking.com's design and development principles, standards, components, and practices.
- Displays a commitment to design excellence and defines exceptional quality for their fellow designers via all aspects of the work they do.
- They produce designs that serve as benchmarks for the organization as a whole, leave no element unaccounted for, and drive future development of various products and services.
- Drives consistent adoption and adherence to relevant design standards and principles.
- Support for the wider Trips and Design Foundation strategic objectives to enhance the user experience and drive consistent product experiences on all platforms.
- Demonstrate awareness of current and upcoming trends in market, technology and design; Sharing this knowledge widely and encouraging others to learn.
- Actively seek out, request, and contribute to the creation and collection of data to better understand the customer experience and to help inform product and design decisions.
- Proactively partner with managers, leads, principals, directors in design, product and technology to guide and influence strategic decisions made across Trips horizontal and vertical organizations; Align with other leaders to drive larger design and product initiatives.
- Demonstrate fluent understanding of track area's business models and strategies; Actively contributes to strategy through collaboration with other track leadership and managers.
- Aligns with other teams’ missions and objectives through collaboration across teams, disciplines and levels.
- Thought partner for Product teams to define, shape, and deliver app and web roadmaps.
- Acts as a consistent advocate for end user needs and perspectives in product area discussions, reviews, and critiques.
- Champions adherence and consistency to established design and UX copy standards and guidelines across their area of business at all levels and disciplines.
- Actively engages with other managers and departments in order to improve management processes, contribute to overall performance evaluation and improvement.
- Communicates across business units to identify company-level challenges and opportunities and builds internal and external partnerships to enable collaboration across designers, teams, and business units.
- Deliver company level or external industry communication on design, strategy, or processes at Booking.com, new products, and new business initiatives; Provides design leadership, craft, process, or strategy advice and counsel for broader business unit and company-level initiatives.
- Mentor and coach individual designers to improve craft, deliverables, process, communication, and career advancement.
- Cultivates designer skill, mentors and coaches individual designers to improve craft, deliverables, process, communication, and career advancement.
- Promotes their domain across the company in order to spread awareness and create a more consistent user experience
- 8 to 12 years individual contributor design experience, preferably in travel, marketplaces & ecommerce, SaaS, media, retail, etc, in customer-orientated user experience design organizations
- Experience shipping successful products on multiple platforms using scalable frameworks such as design systems and machine learning frameworks.
- Extensive knowledge of design processes
- Demonstrate advanced understanding and application of user-centered design concepts, methods, and techniques to facilitate their use, enable and advance quality design and outcomes.
- Documented creative ability to develop ideas, flows, designs and propositions to engage customers
- Strong theoretical and practical user-centred design skills
- Experience and knowledge of A/B and multivariate testing processes
- Knowledge of Lean UX, Lean startup, Design Thinking, and dual track agile
- Excellent stakeholder management experience
- A proven communicator who can influence and cooperate with people at all levels
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Solution oriented and result driven, analytical skills and data-informed mindset
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, Computer Science, Library Science, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilise technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Wat wij bieden
Parttime - Fulltime