Machine Learning Scientist - Flights
Our flight business is one of the cornerstones of our connected trip strategy. We ought to offer the best and most convenient flights to every customer, those that start their trip by buying a flight, or those that are complementing their existing journey with a flight. We do this by having the best inventory available at the most competitive prices powering a site that solves all the pain points of booking a flight today.
To support this organization, we are looking for a Machine Learning Scientist. As a successful candidate, you will be working closely with the product teams within the Flights organization. You will help them optimize our product to help our users find the best destinations, dates, flights, and ancillaries for their trip, at the best price, as well as offer them ways to complete their trip with our offering on accommodations, attractions, cars and taxis. Using a combination of machine learning techniques, engineering, online experimentation, and agile product development, you will bring your models to production and make sure they help our users.
You will be part of a team of Data Scientists, Machine Learning Scientist, and Data Analysts, who cover a wide spectrum of topics within the Flights area. Some current projects include a model for alerting our users on changing price trends, the ranking of our offers, analyses on how flights can provide incremental value to our users and our business, design of experiments, and analyses of our supply. At the same time your will be embedded in a product development team, working side by side with software developers, UX designers, copy writers, and user researchers, to create the best products for our customers.
As a Machine Learning Scientist you are a subject-matter expert in the theory behind relevant areas of machine intelligence, such as recommendation systems, ranking, multi-arm bandits, uplift modeling, or classification/regression techniques, and in their implementation as end-to-end products that generate direct business impact. You define the strategy and vision for how to generate outsized impact through automated intelligence for a product by driving a research agenda and development plan from ideation to prototyping to full productionisation.
- Translate broad business problems into ML/AI challenges. Develop the strategy and research plan for tackling them by designing innovative ML/AI models, algorithms, and approaches that deliver both short-term commercial impact and longer-term differentiated business value and customer experiences.
- Drive the end-to-end execution of the ML/AI development process on products, from understanding product requirements and constraints of the production environment, data discovery, proof-of-concept demonstrations, model development and evaluation, to implementation of a full production pipeline, and their monitoring.
- Develop production-grade machine learning code, from models to features and pipelines, allowing for scalability, realtime, monitoring and retraining.
- Maintain a highly cross-disciplinary perspective, solving issues by applying approaches and methods from across a variety of ML/AI disciplines and related fields.
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in ML/AI and related technologies, introducing them to the machine learning community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact.
- Actively contribute to Machine Learning at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues. Push for improvements, scaling and extending machine learning tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams.
- Ability to design an applied research plan for a product family from scratch as evidenced by peer-review publication, past projects, or similar track record.
- Strong relevant work or academic experience (MSc + 2 years of working experience, or PhD), involved in the development and application of Machine Learning.
- Masters degree, PhD or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, etc).
- Experience on multiple machine learning facets: working with large data sets, model development, statistics, experimentation, data visualization, optimization, software development.
- Experience collaborating cross functionally in the development of machine learning products (e.g. Developers, UX specialists, Product Managers, etc).
- Strong working knowledge of Python, Hadoop, SQL, Spark or similar big data technologies.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Wat wij bieden
Parttime - Fulltime