Machine Learning Scientist - Trip Foundations
Our Trip Foundations team is one of the cornerstones of our connected trip strategy. In order to help customers book their perfect trip we need to be able to understand and anticipate travelers' needs to provide the most relevant cross-sell choices. We do this by combining data from our various product verticals as well as offers and discounts from across the business to generate an intelligent and compelling set of recommendations.
To support this ambition, we are looking for a Machine Learning Scientist. As a successful candidate, you will be working closely with the product teams within the Trip Foundations organization and across our wider set of Booking verticals such as Flights, Cars, Attractions and more. We will iteratively optimize our product to help our users find the best verticals, products and offers for their trip using a combination of Machine Learning techniques, engineering, online experimentation, and agile product development. You will bring your models to production and make sure they help our users, communicating learnings and contributing knowledge to the insights and data community at Booking.
You will be part of a wider team of Data Scientists, Machine Learning Scientists, and Data Analysts, who cover a wide spectrum of topics within the Trips area. Our recent work revolves around finding the best-next-thing to offer to a user, both by defining the product family that will complete their trip (between a car, a taxi, and attraction, etc), and by finding the best supply within those families to match their party size, location and cost preference . At the same time you will be embedded in a product development team, working side-by-side with Product and Engineering, to create the optimal experience for our customers.
As a Machine Learning Scientist you are a subject-matter expert in the theory behind relevant areas of machine intelligence, such as recommendation systems, ranking, multi-arm bandits, uplift modeling, or classification/regression techniques, and in their implementation as end-to-end products that generate direct business impact. You define the strategy and vision for how to generate outsized impact through automated intelligence for a product by driving a research agenda and development plan from ideation to prototyping to full productionisation.
- Translate broad business problems into ML/AI challenges. Develop the strategy and research plan for tackling them by designing innovative ML/AI models, algorithms, and approaches that deliver both short-term commercial impact and longer-term differentiated business value and customer experiences.
- Drive the end-to-end execution of the ML/AI development process on products, from understanding product requirements and constraints of the production environment, data discovery, proof-of-concept demonstrations, model development and evaluation, to implementation of a full production pipeline, and their monitoring.
- Develop production-grade machine learning code, from models to features and pipelines, allowing for scalability, realtime, monitoring and retraining.
- Maintain a highly cross-disciplinary perspective, solving issues by applying approaches and methods from across a variety of ML/AI disciplines and related fields.
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in ML/AI and related technologies, introducing them to the machine learning community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact.
- Actively contribute to Machine Learning at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues. Push for improvements, scaling and extending machine learning tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams.
- Ability to design an applied research plan for a product family from scratch as evidenced by peer-review publication, past projects, or similar track record.
- Strong relevant work or academic experience (MSc + 2 years of working experience, or PhD), involved in the development and application of Machine Learning.
- Masters degree, PhD or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, etc).
- Experience on multiple machine learning facets: working with large data sets, model development, statistics, experimentation, data visualization, optimization, software development.
- Experience collaborating cross functionally in the development of machine learning products (e.g. Developers, UX specialists, Product Managers, etc).
- Strong working knowledge of Python, Hadoop, SQL, Spark or similar big data technologies.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Wat wij bieden
Parttime - Fulltime