“We are looking for a smart and motivated team player who thinks nothing is impossible. As an IT- lawyer and technology-lover you are keen to make the complex things simple and explanatory. You contribute to things that matter. Ideally you are entrepreneurial and brave. If you are a curious and proactive lawyer - you’d love it. We would welcome you in our team!”Barbara Buitenhuis, Legal Director Americas | CEEMEA & Annemieke Kappert, Legal Director Europe | APAC
Backbase is a fast growing fintech software provider that empowers financial institutions to accelerate their digital transformation and effectively compete in a digital-first world. Our growth brings new opportunities and challenges, that’s why we are looking to expand the Legal team with a smart, experienced and hands-on IT and commercial contracts lawyer.
- LLM from an accredited law school from one of the major jurisdictions, preferably England & Wales or The Netherlands;
- At least 8 years of PQE with both private practice and in-house experience;
- Experience in and affinity with the IT / software / technology industry;
- Proven excellent contract drafting and negotiating skills in English;
- The Dutch Postgraduate VIRA/Grotius Informaticarecht (IT law) is preferred;
- Ability to give concise and to-the-point legal advice;
- Proactive and result driven;
- Specialized in IT contracts;
- Additional benefit if you have experience in the financial industry;
- Business and result oriented with hands-on and flexible attitude;
- Ability to work autonomously and interact with all levels of business;
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong analytical, issue-spotting and investigatory skills;
- Service minded self-starter with ability to work independently with great communication and interpersonal skills.
Our Legal team is truly motivated to get things done; we try to work smarter not harder. We love to collaborate with technical and commercial sparring partners, both internally as well as on the client's side in a B2B environment. You will be one of the in-house (senior) legal counsels in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and part of the global Legal team. Reporting to and working closely with the EMEA | APAC Legal Directors, also based in Amsterdam. You support Backbase with various contract negotiations, drafting and reviewing contracts, mainly with prospective customers and partners to support Backbase’s sales ambitions in EMEA and APAC, assessing legal risks and providing general advice to the business. In deals you know how to balance between commercial and legal stakes. You are able to work independently, make good judgement calls and you are proactive in driving the negotiations to a success. You will be drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial and technology contracts, including software license agreements, software-as-a-service, distribution (reselling) agreements, consultancy and project implementation agreements. You will work closely with the Sales and Customer Success teams and support them in the bidding processes and commercial negotiations in different EMEA | APAC time zones. Collaboration with our RnD team is also part of the job.
As we often explore new business propositions, you will also be supporting global expansion initiatives and setting up legal entities abroad. Naturally, due to our growth, it is important to continue streamlining processes. So investigation, implementation and continuous improvement of legal processes and related (contract) templates will be part of the role.
We can discuss working on either a 40, 36 or 32 hours per week basis. Some flexibility in working hours is possible.
Er is geen minimale opleiding vereist