Data & AI Solution Architect
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
Microsoft Consulting Services helps Microsoft customers around the world get the best outcomes from their investments in the latest Microsoft cloud technologies. We focus on empowering customers on their digital journey, from envisioning new possibilities to delivering solutions that result in targeted business outcomes and a great customer experience.
A Domain Solution Architect within a Global Domain organization of Microsoft Consulting Services and is responsible for delivering high quality architectural solutions and business outcomes based on the Microsoft Platform. Demonstrating deep knowledge of the Domain Solutions and Offerings across the entire life-cycle, together with a critical focus on opportunity management and technical governance, the Domain Solution Architect drives transformational results and realizes business strategy for both customers and Microsoft Consulting Services.
Microsoft offers Data solutions both in the cloud and executing the most demanding, mission critical workloads for our customers. These solutions are commonly at the core of executive reporting and help our customers make impactful decisions about their business. Do you want to be part of an Elite team in Azure Cloud & AI Domain, working with MCS Data Architect team? Well then this may be the opportunity you need to stretch your wings. Responsibilities
Understanding Customer/Partner Technical Environment
- Gathers customer/partner insights from a broad range of stakeholders as well as the main business sponsor to shape and form both the definition and ongoing execution of projects. Identifies and evaluates industry trends (customer industry verticals, information technology [IT] industry). Adapts business models, plans, and solutions to insights.
- Works with customer/partner stakeholders (e.g., Enterprise Architects, Security Team, Development Team, Operations Team) and business sponsor to socialize both the business solution and the project approach to determine if changes are needed to the business solution. Where the cost of change is accepted by the customer, shares this feedback with the project team and the broader account team to make the necessary adjustments using mechanisms such as updating the solution approach and projected costs in presales and change requests in delivery. Contributes to Microsoft-centric operations and cadences to align with customer feedback.
- Uses evidence-based approach to represent the customer/partner as a customer advocate and share insights with Product Engineering teams and the business with a view to improving Microsoft technologies, products, services and offerings such that they can better meet customer/partner needs across a territory.
Architecture Design and Deployment
- Leverages a structured approach to Architecture Projects using existing methodologies (e.g., Waterfall, Agile, Iterative) that make use of existing reference architecture and established architectural styles and design patterns. Proposes and develops new solutions to scale across multiple customers/partners. Builds and maintains an architecture description document, an architecture decisions log, and a requirements/constraints traceability matrix to ensure the rationale for the business solution's Architecture is known and understood.
- Defines and documents the architecture through an architecture description document, an architecture decisions log, and a requirements/constraints traceability matrix to communicate the value proposition of the business solution along with the project approach. Leads complex cost-based and technology-based discussions to explain the Architecture in terms of its build, deployment, and ongoing operational use to determine customer appetite for the business solution. Uses a business-value approach that values return on investment (ROI) and customer costs-savings over technical ease of execution.
- Collaborates with the Project Manager to jointly drive project/technical governance of the design, build, and deployment into use of proof of concepts (POCs) and pilots, using enterprise architecture processes and ensuring quality control through peer review. Works with customers to understand and demonstrate business value (e.g., release of revenue, cost savings) that the business solution realize.
- Works with the business sponsor and customer/partner stakeholders (e.g., Business users, Enterprise Architects, Security Team, Operations Team) to gather and ratify requirements and constraints. Manages and resolves complex ambiguity in the requirements and constraints and documents assumptions and implications where it cannot be resolved. Maintains the requirements/constraints traceability matrix to prove that solution components have a rationale/justification for inclusion in the architecture of the business solution. Drives development and execution of test plans to prove that each requirement/constraint has been implemented as expected by the customer. Where there are defects, works in close collaboration with the Project Manager and Customer to redress or accept and document the status of the test results.
- Collaborates with the Account Team and/or Bid Team to understand the business solution/problem. Drives agreement, based on the customer’s priorities, requirements/constraints, approach, principles, concepts, and expectations. Builds and documents a realistically costed, advanced/complex Solution Approach with traceability of requirements, constraints, decisions, and tradeoffs that balances risk, technical credibility, and technical innovation to meet customer need, predominantly based on existing solution offerings and/or reference architecture. Jointly leads the implementation in close partnership with the Project Manager. Leads oversight and governance and establishment of quality practices and standards to realize the business solution. Uses a cohesive build methodology with an agreed release schedule and timeline so the solution can be transitioned to live operations, leveraging solution expertise. Ensures communication of and adherence to the pre-sales value proposition. Works with the Project Manager to highlight where assumptions have proven false. Uses change requests to modify the Solution/project approach when needed. As needed, collaborates with subject matter experts to receive specialized advice that can help define the Solution and project approach and increase the time to value for the customer.
- Anticipates and identifies scenarios that could slow or impede pre-sales/delivery. Orchestrates the broader Microsoft team to address technical blockers and works with account/project team to resolve non-technical issues. Reports significant problems to Microsoft management and resolves escalations when needed. Plans a way forward in complex and ambiguous situations with an innovative approach and durable design. Delegates and leverages specialist skills of others to drive technical alignment across internal/external teams. Coordinates disparate approaches into a single plan of action for complex scenarios.
- Works in close collaboration with the Project Manager and Account Team to identify, categorize, and communicate business and technical risks. Defines risk mitigation activities that are foundational to the project plan. Defines risk contingency plans for invocation should the risk occur.
- Generates new and/or improvements to existing intellectual property. Connects gaps and patterns across business and technology areas to drive changes. Identifies which ideas should be culled, with consideration for scale across customers. Drives the re-use of intellectual property and recommends practices in both pre-sales and delivery. Participates and contributes to internal/external communities.
- Develops a network of internal/external relationships with senior-level decision makers to build influence in addressing problems/blockers and facilitating additional views on the matter of interest. Acts as an advisor to external stakeholders. Provides direction to facilitate relationships between others. Stays up to date on Microsoft’s technologies, products, and services in order to communicate Microsoft's mission, strategy, and capabilities.
- Uses evidence-based arguments that articulate complex concepts in a simple manner to respectfully challenge Microsoft and customers/partners when a decision or course of action will not produce optimal results. Leverages strategic expertise to encourage alternative approaches where applicable. Serves as the "technical conscience" to challenge the status quo and unrealistic expectations. Proactively resolves conflicts and seeks resolution to balance the overall outcome. Drives consensus where possible and leads decisions to resolve conflict when needed.
- Leads the adoption of Microsoft solutions technologies based on understanding of competitor solutions and how customer business value can be driven through Microsoft's offerings. Differentiates Microsoft's solutions in customer/partner conversations to influence the industry-wide direction for specific architecture(s).
- Leads virtual teams around technologies and customer/partner challenges by sharing ideas, insight, and strategic, technical input with technical teams, internal communities across the field, and the larger virtual team across Microsoft using knowledge of Microsoft architectures and their context in the competitive landscape.
- Participates in external architect community events (e.g., conferences, seminars, technical meetups, Webcasts, blogs, hackathons) and shares learnings with internal team. Acts a mentor to junior colleagues by educating them on technical and non-technical concepts and sharing best practices. Demonstrates deep industry knowledge and drives recognition for Microsoft solutions through presentations and engagements with external audiences.
- Strong data platform expertise and experience in pre-sales , delivery, Architecture, design, leading team of consultants to implement large scale opportunities
- Azure Data platform technologies, Data warehouse, relational database methodologies, development and performance tuning, BI, and ETL skills on large scale enterprise EDW systems
- Experienced with Migrations from Teradata/Netezza/APS/Oracle/Azure Synapse/PostgreSQL
- Strong in ETL/ELT approaches and technologies: ADF, SSIS, Informatica etc
- Big Data and Analytics platform: HDInsight (Hadoop, Spark, HBase)
- Experience in modern BI technologies (NoSQL, Hadoop, HDInsight, Cosmos, MPP SQL, Spark, etc.)
- Practical knowledge of common storage options including JSON, Parquet and ORC format
- Experience in a DevOps culture supporting live site
- Experience with Continuous Delivery practices, TDD
- Experience in Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) and REST
- Experience in delivery thru agile practices
- End-to-end Microsoft BI stack knowledge and experience: SQL Server, Azure, Azure SQL DB, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, HD Insight, Streaming Insight, Sharepoint BI, PowerPivot, PowerView, Excel, PowerBI
- Languages: SQL, C#, Java, or Python / Powershell, use of Visual Studio is preferred
- Bachelors or higher degree (Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics) or equivalent work experience
- Proficient in English: Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to translate technology capabilities into business capabilities
- Application development lifecycle, discovering patterns and practices
- Solution architecture design, DBMS architecture
- Leadership skills
- Work experience in an Agile environment - preferably Scrum
- Inclusion of quality attributes in solution designs (security, availability, resilience, performance, scalability, cost, usability)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Wat wij bieden