The Power BI team part of the greater C + AI Studios is looking for a passionate and innovative Senior Design Researcher to join our studio – we are a diverse team of researchers that come from various research backgrounds that include academia and applied product design. We value collaboration and individuality in each other and are eager to share best practices and new trends with each other on a regular basis as we evolve our research practice.
Power BI is one of the fastest growing SaaS services at Microsoft and we empower millions of business users in organizations around the planet to achieve more with their data. In the 5 years since Power BI launched, it has grown to be the clear leader in Business Intelligence. As researchers, we are customer-obsessed and advocate for our customers and users in the product design & development process.
You will build a deep understanding of users, competition and market, and conduct analyses in a fast-paced, agile environment. You’ll have experience conducting a variety of analyses in different situations, from exploratory analyses to generate hypotheses, to driving UX health metrics that shape the Power BI experience. You’ll inspire change at all stages of product development by delivering exciting oral, written, and visual presentations about your findings. Your primary job as an advocate for our users is to help the product team understand what would make a user’s experiences natural, useful, and delightful.
• Work closely with cross-functional product teams to develop a research strategy that includes generative and evaluative research studies, and ensure the right data is being collected to positively impact the product direction
• Conduct a mixture of qualitative and quantitative research activities to inform product design, including but not limited to: usability studies, heuristic evaluations, interviews, surveys, user journey maps, benchmarks and personas
• Communicate your findings in a clear, concise, and visual (when appropriate) manner to our key stakeholders on the product and design teams, and drive meaningful action based on those findings
• Create durable research insights that align with user-centered design principles and positively impact Power BI and overall Microsoft's product portfolio
• A minimum of MA/MS in Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field, OR significant industry experience
• 5+ years of experience conducting product design research
• Demonstrated experience with a wide variety of design research methodologies including but not limited to: usability studies, prototype testing, concept value testing, field/remote studies, in-depth interviews, heuristic evaluations, user journey mapping, personas, competitive reviews, and surveys
• Ability to quickly and effectively analyze research data and present rich findings simply and clearly to influence product design and direction
• Strong leadership skills to deliver projects and customer insights within and across product teams that resulted in strong product impact
• Passion for learning new technologies and understanding the needs of users across a wide range of technical abilities
• Excellent communication and project management skills
• Experience with UI design best practices and agile software development
• Preferred: Experience conducting research in a highly technical space (e.g., AI, data warehousing, data integration, modeling)
• Preferred: Previous experience with Business Intelligence tools
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.