Application Scientist – Life Science Cryo-TEM
Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers find cures for cancer, protecting the environment, or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $25 billion and approximately 75,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The EMEA NanoPort team, within the Sales and Service Division (SSD), runs a state-of-the-art Electron Microscopy Centre of Excellence, supporting account managers and external Thermo Fisher Scientific customers in the Sciences and Industry markets. Key deliverables of the NanoPort team are:
- The delivery of high-quality Customer Applications Training and Support, allowing users to obtain the best possible results from their instruments in the shortest possible time;
- Carefully prepared Product and Workflow Demonstrations, based on a solid understanding of our customers’ application needs and highlighting the unique value of Thermo Scientific solutions in a highly competitive market;
- Application contributions to new hardware and software Product Introductions;
- The generation of Marketing Collateral and contributions to high-profile Workshops and Conferences.
Building on a solid scientific foundation combined with a strong commercial interest, being self-supportive and a great networker with excellent communication skills, the Application Scientist Life Sciences Cryo-TEM works closely with top specialists at leading research institutes and new technology adopters in Academia and Industry, ensuring that customers of Thermo Scientific are successful in obtaining optimal results from their microscopes. This role reports into our applications Manager Life Sciences and is part of a team of highly skilled life science application specialists and requires intense travelling (occasionally up to 70%)
The Application Scientist also serves as a scientific ambassador for Thermo Scientific at the customer location. Operating at the cutting edge of science and nanotechnology, the Application Scientist is responsible for advanced customer training and the (scientific) results achieved, as well as for providing the customer with an efficient inroad into Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Specific deliverables associated with this opportunity include
- Conduct customer training and translate customer needs into workable solutions;
- Execution of product and workflow demonstrations, sample analysis, and 3D data processing, supporting sales opportunities – in the NanoPort or at customer sites;
- Multiple supporting tasks such as applications support for new product development, contributions to manuals and application notes, experimental research to advance applications knowledge, presentations at workshops and conferences; scientific publications;
- Facilitation of microscope acceptance in the production facility and support to installation and acceptance at customer sites;
- Providing feedback to R&D and Product Management by testing and evaluating new products, software and accessories.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- An advanced degree (MSc, PhD) in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Structural Biology or equivalent, demonstrating strong expertise in microscopy application areas such as sample preparation, cryo-EM data collection and data processing;
- Typically requires approximately 5 years of experience in electron-microscopy in an advanced research (academia or industry) environment with a strong hands-on focus on cryo-Transmission Electron Microscopy;
- Strong background in single particle cryo-EM and/or tomography data processing; ability to run and maintain data processing workstations is a plus;
- Proven ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously, independently and self-motivated;
- Confident, determined, and people-oriented;
- A strong team player with a proven ability to interact with multi-cultural, cross-functional teams;
- Strong communicative and inter-cultural skills (verbal and non-verbal); fluent in English, skills in German, French or Italian is a plus;
- Willingness to frequently travel internationally (occasionally up to 70%).
Wat wij bieden
Parttime - Fulltime