Department Head Mechatronics
In this role, you have the opportunity to
lead a team of 200 highly-skilled technical professionals to the next level, offering world class support in product and system development, using the latest (digital) technologies in Mechatronics for a wide array of products and systems in the area of Healthcare, High Tech systems and Medical Devices.
Do you have a genuine interest in technology and the entrepreneurial drive to create competitive edge for our customers by implementing state-of-the art technological insights in projects and products?
Do you want to further develop the current customer portfolio and acquire new customers within Philips and relevant external markets?
You are responsible for
- As a member of the Product Engineering Management Team determining the department’s objectives, policies, processes and budgets on short and long term, and you make sure that the organization can meet the objectives and ensures that the roles and responsibilities are put in place.
- Formulating and implementing longer term vision/direction/strategy: steering the group to add maximum value to the business in the future. Content-wise you inspire and contribute to cross-organizational strategy and project teams working on innovation themes and breakthroughs.
- Managing capabilities of the department on technical content, developing and maintaining a long term view on the required competences and knowledge to introduce new technology. You ensure that there are adequate resources and tools at the proper time, you are responsible for the technology and architecture in the department. Next to the traditional Mechatronics competences, you lead the digital transformation for the Mechatronics domain in areas like IoT; smart sensing, smart control, digital twin and AI/ML.
- the management of capabilities of the department on development methods like working according the V-model, Agile, model based design and system engineering as a whole, in particular the move to model based system engineering. Align and connect on these methodologies and tools across Philips.
- Contributing and staffing the Philips wide initiatives to increase quality in design, increase productivity, leverage best practices and lessons learned, and to the Philips wide Center of Excellence (CoE) for System Engineering and the Mechatronics & Mechanical Design Principles Community of Practice. Drives platformization, modularization, and standardization across products and systems to enable the transformation of Philips to become a lean, digitally enabled solutions company.
- Ensuring appropriate personnel management practices regarding recruitment and selection, adequate staffing, remuneration, performance appraisals, education and training, and management development policy.
- Creating an engaged, innovative, and inspiring working environment in the department by motivating, challenging, and coaching the department 's employees towards growth, manages and optimizes the innovative climate, stimulating entrepreneurship and driving engagement.
- Achieving operational plans, guides Project Managers/Leaders and ensures the optimal allocation of personnel to the projects and effective project management, ensure excellent project execution by constantly optimizing project management practices in the department to exceed customer expectations.
- Cooperating with relevant parties outside of the department. Works across the borders of the own department – e.g formulate strategies or project proposals across department borders, cooperating with other department heads, programs and the business. Establishes a network with relevant players; scientific relations outside of the department and with the business - on all topics, and actively using this network to obtain input on technological developments, identifying trends and opportunities.
- Leading specific assignments, strategic initiatives and specific responsibilities for Product Engineering as part of the Product Engineering Management Team.
You are a part of
The Mechatronics Department as part of Product Engineering is a Department of approximately 200 colleagues divided over 6 groups in the field of System Architecture/Engineering, Project Management, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Control, Dynamics, Electro-mechanics, Thermal management, Acoustics, Tribology, FEM and Prototyping with BSc, PhD and MSc degrees in their competence fields.
Next to the 6 Group Leaders, a team of Project Managers, System Architects and Department support, in total of 25, will report directly to the Department Head Mechatronics
Together with colleagues of other Product Engineering departments, we execute large multidisciplinary projects in which the Mechatronics Department is fully responsible for all mechatronic competences.
Furthermore, we support our customers in their projects by technical consultancy for complex mechatronic problems which they cannot solve themselves.
So every day brings new challenges as we work in many different projects for all sectors of Philips and a wide variety of external customers, from small and medium enterprises to complex industries like the semiconductor capital equipment.
You will report directly to the Head of Product Engineering and be part of the Product Engineering Management Team.
The main location of Product Engineering is located on the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven (the Netherlands). Other locations are in Aachen (Germany), Cambridge (USA) and Pune/Bangalore (India).
You will be part of a team with over 1000 technology experts, designers, project managers and consultants who have decades of experience in supporting customers both inside and outside Philips - from major companies in markets such as semiconductor industry and healthcare to highly innovative start-ups.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Master or PhD degree in a technical degree (preferably mechanical engineering or physics). Minimum of 15 years work experience in a relevant environment e.g. R&D, product development.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience delivering hands-on contributions from your technological discipline.
- Minimum 5 years work experience as a project manager.
- Minimum 5 years work experience managing a similar group of (highly skilled technical) professionals (Up to PhD-level)
- Experience in Lean and Agile methodologies
- Experience with the digitalization of Development; methods, tools and global collaboration
- Able to maintain and develop a relevant network of business partners both within as outside Philips
- Managing customer relations in a solution driven way
- Proven leadership and change management capabilities as a team manager in an innovative environment
- Good communication skills. motivator and stakeholder management
- Pragmatic and result-oriented
- Fluent in English
In return, we offer you
A path towards your most rewarding career. Succeeding in this market-based role in a complex environment will open many doors for your long term career, in other areas in Philips or otherwise. We also believe that we are at our best as a company when you are at yours as a person. Thus, we offer competitive health benefits, a flexible work schedule and access to local well-being focused activities.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 2.5 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there,you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
Er is geen minimale opleiding vereist
Wat wij bieden