Back to search results
Previous jobNext job
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR:
Director of Product - Genius
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest ecommerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $84 billion and revenues of $15.07 billion (2019). Booking.com currently employs more than 13,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travelers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts and even tree houses. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
At Booking.com, we are all involved in making hundreds of decisions every day. The decisions we make are a reflection of our Values - they reflect what is important to us, both as individuals and as an organization.
When we use our Values to make decisions, we make a deliberate choice to focus on what is important. When Values are made explicit, they provide clarity on what “good” looks like. And when they are shared, they build unity in a group. They build culture.
- Think customer first. We obsess about adding value for our customers - guests, partners, colleagues - to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
- Own it. We deliver on our promises, make informed decisions and prioritize to get the important things done today.
- Learn forever. We are resilient, take time to reflect, and seek to learn – from colleagues, from the outside world and from our failures.
- Succeed together.We celebrate team success, through making connections, building trust and valuing the diverse perspectives of others.
- Do the right thing. We get the right results the right way. For each other, our communities and the world around us.
Booking.com Leadership Team
Chief Executive Officer, Glenn Fogel
SVP, Chief Finance Officer(interim), Sue D’Emic
SVP, Chief Marketing Officer, Arjan Dijk
SVP, Trips, Bryan Batista
SVP, Chief Legal Officer, Maria Barros
SVP, Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano
SVP, Accommodations, James Waters
Profile Director of Product - Genius
As Booking.com envisions a future in which it will serve customers a one-stop solution for all travel-related needs, we are working towards offering a fully ‘connected trip’, in which every aspect of the travel experience can be planned and booked through our mobile app and website. The transition towards the ‘connected trip’ has already been in progress. The Accommodation Business Unit represents the largest share of our business today. Our Pricing & Genius (Booking.com’s loyalty program) organization is responsible to offer the most attractive rates and deals globally and to increase the loyalty of our customers which is one of the top priorities for the business unit and for Booking.com as a whole.
Within Booking we are transitioning from a transactional view of the world to a customer focused approach. In this transition we will serve and retain customers in the best possible way across multiple product verticals. As Genius is our loyalty program, it is in the midst of that. Currently Genius is Booking.com’s most important program which spans both the customer and the partner side of our marketplace. It drives value to partners by providing more bookings; at the same time it provides better value to (our most loyal) customers by for example providing a discount or a free room upgrade. While the program is substantial already, we foresee there is a lot of room to develop it further. As the responsible Product Director you will drive both the longer term strategic direction of this program as well as execute the already planned expansion over the coming quarters.
As Director of Product for Genius, you will be driving the growth of the program both on the customer and the partner side. You will work with many other departments to expand the reach and value of the program (eg Marketing, other Verticals, Customer Service, etc.) You are responsible for leading a track composed of several teams that develop products and constantly innovate to delight our customers and partners.
Reports to: Senior Director of Product - Pricing & Genius
- Be accountable for the end-to-end delivery of the Genius program.
- Work with product teams and engineering to drive continuous efficiency improvements.
- Manage and develop a team of (Senior) Product Managers.
- Communicate with key stakeholders to keep them up to date and bought into the product development process.
- You will contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, onboarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Oversee and manage the business performance, investments, and priorities. Be responsible for building and delivering on key performance indicators.
- Empower people to be their best at Booking.com.
Ideal Experience & Skills:
- 10+ years of Product Leadership Experience with high traffic (100,000+ visitors per day), preferably E-commerce digital products.
- Experience leading product teams of various size and scope (vision and metrics/objectives setting, ideation and implementation process, team alignment with business goals) and managing and coaching teams of senior product managers/product owners.
- Demonstrated ability to solve customer problems, coupled with super strong analytical skills and commercial and business sense.
- Proven growth mindset and agile.
- Experienced in building and articulating a clear and compelling product vision.
- Experience working with multiple senior stakeholders (finance, team management, recruitment, external customers). Capability to adapt communication style to different audiences.
- Proven experience on the management of teams delivering diverse mobile components.
- Understanding of loyalty programs is a plus but not essential.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment.
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness.
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done.
- Self-starter with high energy and drive; fast paced and results driven; forward thinking.
- Data driven, experimental, ready to learn and open to change.
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do.
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity.
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes relationships and enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, and trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, and effectively. Establishes relationships inside and outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers and decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives and reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.