Senior Counsel Operations Netherlands
....This is who we are
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the third consecutive year.Basic Function
The Senior Legal Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and general counsel on operational matters and strategic projects arising from the Company’s Dutch and Belgian operations, especially for the manufacturing sites in Botlek, Bornem, Maasvlakte, Moerdijk, Oudsbergen and 's-Gravendeel. The role should include strategic legal advice as a trusted advisor to senior management. The Senior Legal Counsel will also support the procurement, supply chain, and project engineering organizations in the Netherlands, Belgium and other European countries. This includes working on contracts for supply of raw materials, utilities, logistics, corporate services, as well as technical materials and (construction) services, and being a focal point for multi-jurisdictional procurement activities. The position entails advising internal client groups on Company guidelines, policies and procedures in order to ensure statutory and regulatory compliance, and can include a focus on health, safety and environmental aspects. The role may also involve support and influence on the strategic agenda of the Company’s operations on major and high exposure projects, such as major turn-around or construction projects in The Netherlands, Belgium or elsewhere as well as potential restructuring, acquisitions, or divestitures. Finally, the role includes being a valued contributor to the Legal Department and working across functions and practice groups to advance the goals of the Department and the Company.
This position is located in Rotterdam and reports to the Lead Counsel, Operations EAI.Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice and guidance to site management and staff functions in the Netherlands and Belgium on laws and regulations that impact the company’s manufacturing and site service operations.
- Work closely with and be the trusted legal advisor of the Dutch and Belgian site management teams to ensure that the company is well-positioned, when regulatory and business changes occur.
- Be the first point of contact for legal support on HSE matters for the respective manufacturing sites and subsequently enable management (both on global and local level) to manage HSE matters efficiently and effectively.
- Negotiate, draft and advise on contracts with material and service providers for a wide range of contractual matters from operations, maintenance, construction, engineering, procurement and logistics to power purchase and other utilities.
- Advise on real estate matters and operating permits in The Netherlands and Belgium.
- Develop and conduct training programs for employees on applicable topics that further Business objectives.
- Manage external counsel to assist in legal matters that cannot be handled in-house.
- Represent the Company in relations with Governmental and other regulatory authorities.
- Graduated Level: Dutch law degree or European equivalent
- Bar qualified or equivalent in-house experience
- 8+ years of post-qualification experience in major law firms or corporations, ideally with a background in the chemical, oil & gas, energy or engineering & construction industry
- Experience in complex procurement and/or supply chain transactions, in particular in the areas of technical & engineering services, construction, utilities and transportation preferably for major manufacturing operations
- Knowledge/experience of Dutch and European laws and regulations relevant for an international manufacturing company operating in The Netherlands
- Experience in dealing with HSE/regulatory and/or CSR/sustainability matters; a good understanding of real estate, energy law and emissions rights is desirable
- Experience with working in an English speaking and multinational business environment
- Fluent in English and Dutch; working knowledge in German and/or French is a plus.
- Business Acumen – Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting his/her practice area; understands peer practices and policies and is aware of how strategies and tactics manifest themselves in the work environment.
- Decision Quality – Makes sound decisions on strategic and tactical levels based upon the right balance of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Critical Thinking – Can quickly assess a situation and takes action. Recognizes when to involve others, knows when to act quickly or respond with more thought. Considers the holistic point of view and downstream implications to policies made or employee relations actions taken.
- Organizational Agility – Knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures; understands the culture of the organization.
- Drive for Results – Can be counted on to deliver targets successfully and exceed goals frequently; is action oriented and full of energy to get things done; seizes the opportunities and moves / get closure with a sense of urgency.
- Integrity and Trust – Is trusted by peers, management and clients; presents the entire truth without prompt, even in difficult situations; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent self for personal gain.
- Strong Work Ethic & Self-Motivation – Has large capacity to do work, on time with a high level of accuracy; drives for results and can be counted on; pushes self and others for results.
- Command Skills – Takes unpopular stands if necessary; encourages direct and thorough debate but is not afraid to end it and move on; is looked to for direction on tough issues and faces adversity head on.
- Conflict Management – Steps up to conflicts seeing them as opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening; can successfully reach tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
- Timely Decision Making – Makes decision in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision and implement effectively.
- Interpersonal Capability – Builds appropriate rapport with others including senior leaders; is comfortable receiving coaching and feedback from others; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; diffuses even high-tension situations comfortably; is a team-player; encourages cooperation and collaboration; is candid with others; solves problems with others with a minimum of noise.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced and demanding environment with quick response time
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in an organized, effective and timely manner in English and Dutch
- Ability to be co-pilot and trusted advisor in strategic projects
- Ability to work autonomously whilst keeping local and international management abreast of all key developments, timely involve key stakeholders
- Ability to work through teams, set strategies and deliver high quality work within deadlines, and to meet and drive team objectives both from a country operations perspective as well as from EAI/ global perspective
Please feel free to connect with Ton Brands, Corporate recruiter ton.brands @ lyondellbasell.com for more details. Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume via the application button
Er is geen minimale opleiding vereist