As a Mechanical Engineer developing Structures and Absorbers for the Vehicle Exterior group you will be responsible for design, release and launch of components for future vehicle lines including, but not limited to:
·Front End Module
·Front End Integration (Ensure craftsmanship fit and finish; Front Fascia, Headlamps, Fender, Hood)
You will be part of the team that creates and executes world class systems in terms of styling, function and customer quality. You will utilize your expertise in one or more of these commodities and develop as a full vehicle engineer – designing and delivering entire systems rather than just components as you work with a lean and agile team of the best automotive engineers in the industry. You will report to the Engineering Manager of Exterior Systems.
As part of Tesla’s Vehicle engineering team you will design release and launch Exterior components and subsystems, aligned with program product profile with responsibilities to include:
·Concept Engineering & feasibility
·Packaging & layout within vehicle architecture
·Design to deliver customer-driven Exterior system targets for Craftsmanship, function, cost and weight.
·Participate in the iterative process with the Tesla design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost.
·Detail Design including datum & fixation strategy, GD&T
·Complete and release component & sub system design, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required (In-house designs are planned for most major commodities).
·Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the program.
·Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design
·Collaborate with key suppliers & tool makers to support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
·Collaborate with cross functional teams within the Tesla Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure system manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability.
·Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s.
• Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME preferred). Preferably 2 years of experience in automotive or similar field, but proven evidence of technical aptitude can be a substitute for exposure. Evidence of following the design process from initial concept stages through tooling release and production launch, having completed 3D and 2D CAD in Catia V5. Other CAD experience will be considered but ultimately Catia V5 will be used.
• Automotive Engineering with components in the Exterior environment preferred
• Experience managing suppliers for product development.
• Have a good mix of designing a variety of materials (stamped, injection mold, cast, etc.) and designing kinematics/ mechanisms.
• Understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering between low/high volume, entry/premium vehicle systems and have examples or a portfolio of completed programs.
• Have in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve systems requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
• Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
•Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the programs.
• Strong familiarity with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVP&R’s and other technical documents.
• Demonstrate an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout your career.
Uren per week: Full-time